1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GTP level of Pay

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by welshwizard, Apr 11, 2011.

1. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

If you are employed as ateacher in the maintained sector then you are paid point 1 of the unqualified scale. The only variation on this would be if the school is outside of teachers pay & conditions- an academy or independent

2. cupofteacher

cupofteacher New commenter

You should be paid at unqualified point 1. I technically work 4 days too as one of my days is spent at Uni, but that is still working!! It's not like you are getting a day off!! Speak to your provider, and they should be able to set your school straight!

3. I'm having a similar issue, I'm starting a GTP in September, all the research I have done suggests that as a GTP I would get paid at point 1 of the unqualified teacher scale (£15,800), however when I asked at my school what my salary for next year is going to be I was told that last year it was £14,400 and will probably have increased 'slightly'. I'm in school full time as my GTP provider (Newman) only requires attendance at the uni 3x a term. What have others been told in regards to their salary for next year? I never really questioned it before as no matter what it was, it was always going to be more than my current term time only TA salary, but if there is a set scale, how can they get away with paying less?

4. welshwizard

They can only pay less if they are not part of teachers pay and conditions i.e independent or academy

5. cupofteacher

It is your provider that pays you via the school. 14,400 ish might be what the school receive from the provider but you certainly not should be paid less than unqualified.
    Talk to your provider, they should have a contract with your school discussing all of this

6. I got paid UQT3 for my GTP year, I think that surely your pay will depend on what you negotiate with the school? I had worked as a UQT for 2 years prior to this as well.

7. welshwizard

Yes the GTP is employment based so the contract is with the school not with the provider. This is why there is variation in salary paid.

8. Welsh Wizard is right, you are contracted to the school or LEA. You should be at UQT1 (£15,800) The day out is irrelevant, they knew this when they took you on, you should be super-numary so there shouldn't be cover required. If they are outside the pay and conditions agreement then I don't know. Sometimes the provider pays the school to pay you so ask them what they are giving the school and what the school has said they will pay you. if you are school funded, i'm not sure, ask TDA.

9. cupofteacher

You are contracted to the school but they get funding for you. This comes from your provider. Or at least it did when I did my GTP! The providers tell the government how many trainees they have, and they pass on the money to the schools...If schools were funding you directly (as with self funded GTPs) there would be a lot less places!
    My provider stipulated that we be paid UQT 1, if they pay you less then the school are basically cashing in on your funding.

This is how I understand it to be anyway!

10. welshwizard

The amount of funding passed on by the providers varies. Schools paying Fringe and London weighting usually get a bit more but it has not covered the full cost of employment for a number of years now. Full cost includes pension and NI contributions.The shortfall can be as much as 5-6 k which the school has to find from its own resources. This obviously reduces the GTP take up each year.

11. There was also the potential for government salary and training grants when I completed my GTP.

12. This is precisely why a number of schools choose to violate the supernumerary restrictions. I can't say I blame them.