1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GTP Letter of Application- HELP!!!

Discussion in 'English' started by nat8701, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Hi all- I am applying for a secondary english GTP for sep 2012 entry, applications done but I'm really struggling with the letter of application they ask for- I dont know how much detail to go into about previous experience etc and everything I write sounds rubbish! I really want to get onto a GTP so would love any advice please!!! : )

2. j_pink

j_pink New commenter

Nat hi,
    I did GTP and the application and interview process was stressful to say the least. It's important you crack it this year as I think the government are phasing the GTP course out pretty soon.
    The main thing is to stand out against all the other applicants. I always try to put some personailty into my applications, whilst still being professional. Highlight (even bullet point) the tasks you have done that are directly linked to the working duties of an excellent English teacher.
    Sound knowledgable and explain exactly what you love teaching, which topics, novels etc. As a large amount of teaching is pastoral care, be clear on what strengths you have relating to this part of teaching. Mention any responsibilities you have had in the past or any cases of looking out for a specific child (don't mention names).
    Briefly communicate your commitment to teaching and say where you'd like to be in a few years time.
    PM me for more ideas or if you'd like me to check through your application (gotta be this week though!!)
    Apologies for fast typing - mum and housewife etc...