1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GTP Interviews at Derby Uni.

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by JoSteveSophie, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Hi,

I have been invited for an interview at Derby Uni next week and feel extremely nervous!!!!! When it gets to this stage in the game, nerves kick in especially when there is so much depending on it. For me it is the difference between continuing the path to my dream job or having to take a year out of studying.

Does anyone have any experiences of having an interview there that they can share please.

I have researched current education including the creative curriculum and the new pupil premium initiative. Is there anything else that you think I should know?

I have been told that there are lots of tests in maths, English and science but have not been given any area that we need to write about.

Can anyone share what the group or individual process was like?

I have read the comments on the forum but there doesn't seem to be anyone from Derby Uni.

Any comments would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Jo

2. HI

I am currently on the GTP with Derby for Secondary English. I obviously don't know what the format will be this year, but last year it was:

Brief talk about course structure etc given by tutors
    Quick English test (insterting missing puncutation, spellings) and maths test (basic stuff on percentages/fractions/calculating mileage... nothing too taxing)
    Group interview - I think there were 8 of us and it was basically a discussion about what makes a good teacher, why we want to go into it etc.
    Individual interview - for English, we were shown a list of authors and books and asked which we would teach to a y9 class, how we would teach it and why. Then it was more of a general interview session about experience / qualifications / the course.

The course tutors are lovely, and I would try to be relaxed and let your personality show a little - don't try to be too formal and professional all the time! I even managed to crack a couple of jokes.

Anyway, I hope this is helpful. As I say, it could be completly different this year so don't rely on it being exactly as I have described. And good luck! The course is excellent and I'd definitely recommend it.

3. Thanks very much for your feedback. The format sounds similar to the letter that I have received.

Good luck with your course too.

Thanks again,

Jo

4. Hi there,
    What course is it you have applied for? I feel like taking a complete guess and saying you've applied for the B-Ed in Primary Education, but I'm not certain lol. Let me know as different courses have different content in their interviews and my knowledge differs depending on the couse too, so I'll see how much I could help.
    Thanks,
    Nosheen

5. Hi,

Thanks for replying. It is the GTP that I have applied for. My interview was on Thursday 16th Feb and was nowhere near as bad as I had imagined. The tutors/interviewers were extremely pleasant and instantly made you feel at ease. It's just a waiting game now. I should know by the second week of March.

If anyone else has an interview and would like some advice on the format, please feel free to ask. I am more than happy to share my experiences with you.

Jo

6. I have an interview on Tuesday 21st and would be really grateful of ur knowledge of the days format, very nervous now.
    Thank you maggie