1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GTP Interview - Secondary Maths!

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by KRSMouse, May 25, 2012.

1. Hi,
    I have applied for GTP placements for Secondary Mathematics, and I have been offered an interview next week by my local provider. I know that I have to complete a written test (testing my understanding of and written English) which doesn't phase me.
    With regard to the interview, I am to be tested on my 'knowledge of working schools'. Could anyone clarify what exactly is meant by that?
    Any other tips or advice greatly appreciated as the nerves are kicking in!

2. Hi,
    I have a place on a Secondary Maths GTP starting in September.
    My interview was in 4 sections;
    1) Maths (Higher GCSE paper) and English tests (write about why you want to be a teacher).
    2) Teaching 10-15 minutes of a lesson, the school provided the GCSE question for me to teach.
    3) Interview with the Maths department, this was with 2 Maths teachers and an A level student. I had to answer prescribed questions about things like why I wanted to teach Maths, how I would deal with situations in the classroom and what relevant experience/qualifications I have. I also had to reflect on the teaching that I did earlier in the day.
    4) Interview with the GTP provider. They asked things such as how to incorporate ICT into the classroom, why I want to teach and my strengths and weaknesses.
    This structure may be slightly different as the GTP provider is also one of the partnership schools.
    However, ultimately I think that they just want to know what relevant experience you have, why you think you would be a good teacher and how you would use your experience when working in a school.
    I was just myself and tried my best to show them how passionate I am about teaching Maths and it worked [​IMG]
    Good luck!