1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GTP interview questions

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by deleted752, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Hey,
    I have an interview for a GTP post coming up in the next few weeks at a secondary school to do PE. Could anyone please give me some examples of questions i might get asked in the interview? and also waht i can focus on? i do have teaching experience so i can focus on that but not sure what else! any help or advice is appreciated.
    thank you!

2. Hey,
    I have an interview for a GTP post coming up in the next few weeks at a secondary school to do PE. Could anyone please give me some examples of questions i might get asked in the interview? and also waht i can focus on? i do have teaching experience so i can focus on that but not sure what else! any help or advice is appreciated.
    thank you!

3. at my gtp interview it was very much just them trying to find out if I knew what made a good teacher or not and if I knew what being a teacher was really all about. they wanted to know that i would stick with it. so just try and let it show through in everything you say and do during the interview, that you know what you are letting yourself in for with the GTP as opposed to the PGCE and why their school is the best for that.
    they'll be asking questions, you don't need to stand up and give a speech, so they will be telling you what to talk about. they might ask how you might teach a particularly difficult concept/game/etc in PE. You can't prepare for that, but if you need time to think, you can always request a few moments to think over your response, or if you are like me, you just keep talking around the answer while if forms in your head.
    Good luck!

4. Thanks Adarah - some good advice for my interview this morning!

5. Hi, I'm new to this just joined TES! I've got my GTP interview next week could you pass on the advice please thanks
    Tracey

6. jimmegee

jimmegee New commenter

I've got my uni interview on Thursday for and MFL place. Aside from a five-minute presentation and a short English and Maths test, I get the impression they're mainly interested in ensuring I'm not going to chicken out on my (very supportive) chosen school before the end of the course. I may be wrong but I'm just preparing myself for lots of questions about why I really want to teach, what I think makes a good teacher and whether I really understand what a modern classroom looks like these days. All fairly doable if you've done enough observing TA'ing. Good luck everyone!

7. one piece of advice for interview - talk about the kids.

I know it seems like a silly comment to make but a lot of people who fail to get onto a GTP programme forget that they are what it is all about.

other than that it is in the lap of the gods and all you can do is be yourself and make sure you know your subject well.

Be lucky, be passionate and be prepared to get very tired!

8. jimmegee

jimmegee New commenter

Had my (uni) interview this morning and not sure whether I did or didn't mention the magic word (children) in my first response. Didn't appear to be a slippery slope, though. The only advice I can give having now been put through the mill is, think really carefully about why you want to be a teacher and also think of practical real-life examples for any answers you're likely to give. As soon as I started to get generalised and vague in my answers, I noted a bit of dropped interest so had to steer things back on track with examples. I should hear in two weeks. I'm crossing everything!