1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GTP interview - no prior school experience - HELP!

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by victoriajoe, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Hello all

I am over the moon as I have been invited for a GTP Primary interview at Worcester. The problem is that I have only found out today about it, and have been told that it is next Thursday so I have less than one week to prepare! I do not have any experience whatsoever in a school as I had been planning to complete a few weeks before commencing on the course if I got a place (something that I have confirmed with a local headteacher), however now that I've seen what you have to do in the interview I am incredibly worried as it looks like it will be impossible if you haven't already got experience in a classroom.

Has anyone in my situation already done in the interview? Did you survive?? I am wondering whether I should even actually attend, as it looks so impossible and I will be well out of my depth.

Any help with this would be sincerely appreciated. I am 100% fully committed to this course - after a number of interviews and having written to about 200 local schools, I have secured three offers from local schools to do my year's GTP with them - but did not count on how much experience I needed BEFORE the interview. I would be absolutely devastated if I had to drop out now after all of this effort.

Many thanks in advance
    Victoria

2. zoobiezoo

zoobiezoo New commenter

I didn't have much experience, and got a place over many TAs who had loads. if you've been shortlisted, they saw something special in your application.
    Don't let your confidence be knocked. Classroom experience doesn't necessarily mean you'd make a good teacher (as many teachers will happily tell you!!!). That's the point of the GTP, to enable people with other skills to move into teaching.
    Learn what you can to help your interview. Good luck!!!

3. Dear All,
    Thank you so much for the kind responses. All the information you have provided is very useful and I have been encourage by what you have said. I certainly feel a little more confident now.
    Can anyone help me with a few questions? In preparation for a written exam, I have to @font-face {
    font-family: "Arial";
    }p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal { margin: 0cm 0cm 0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; }div.Section1 { page: Sectiresearch the 'two dimensional strands of the Simple View of Reading (Rose, 2006). Can anyone clarify for me what these two 'strands' are? Is there any online text that you can refer me to for the best and most comprehensive review of this?
    The second part of the interview that concerns me is a 5 minute presentation on 'What I have learnt from working with children in a learning context?" Any advice on this? Should I make it a 'child friendly' presentation with visual aids etc to demonstrate how I may teach a primary lesson? What skills should I demonstrate?
    Anything you can tell me would be hugely appreciated. Thanks once again for the help you have given me so far!

4. ***EDIT***

The second paragraph should read....

In preparation for a written exam, I have to reserach the two dimensional strands of the Simple View of Reading by Rose, 2006. Can anyone clarify for me what these two 'strands' are? Is there any
    online text that you can refer me to for the best and most comprehensive
    review of this?

Thanks!

5. Given that it is followed by "by Rose, 2006", the "Simple View of Reading" is obviously an article, book or other publication. Go find it (google gave me plenty of results) and read it - that should tell you what the two strands are.
    As for the second part - I wouldn't say aim it children as (unless your information says otherwise) it seems as though you will be giving this presentation to the "selectors". The title obviously assumes that you DO have some school experience, but do you perhaps have some other similar experience? Eg guides/scouts/nursery/summer-school/etc?

6. Thanks for your reply MasterMaths.
    I have read pages and pages of 'The Simple View of Reading' (via Google searches) today but cannot clearly define what is meant by the 'two dimensional strands'. I will keep searching....
    With regards to the presentation, I do have experience of working with children at various clubs so I will use this knowlede.
    Thanks again.

7. Hi Victoria. I found this the toughest part of the interview also! If you type "Rose Report 2006 - The 2 dimensional strands of learning" in to Google you can find the definitions.

My advice would be to ensure you do not simply read facts out for the presentation. 5 Minutes is short so you need to make a good impression.

Mainly I would just relax as it was one of the friendliest interviews I have ever been on. They are certainly not trying to catch you out or anything so just try your best.

Good luck!

8. Hi,
    Thanks for the reply. I'm glad I'm not the only one struggling to find clear definitions of the two dimensional strands! I'm still not sure that I have to be honest :(
    If you don't mind me asking, what did you do for your presentation? And others also? Did everybody use props or the OHP? I have some pictures to back up my points but nothing overly exciting. Am worried that mine will be terrible in comparison and tomorrow is my interview date! Any advice about what to expect from anything would be great.
    Thanks again.
    Yours sincerely,
    Mrs V Scared

9. Hi Victoria

All the presentations I have seen recently have varied greatly so it is whatever you are comfortable with. Some were very theoretical. Others were more interactive. I used a prop as it was relevant to the example I was giving. Other people simply spoke about their experiences with no props or slides. Sorry to be so vague but there really is a great mix of different presentations and without being on the panel it is impossible to say what they are looking for. Personally I went for being interactive and only using 2 slides and it seemed to be well received. Personally I dont like to see hundreds of slides as people forget to focus on what you are saying and simply read the screen.

The main thing I was happy with was that I had been myself and performed the presentation in my preferred style, rather than trying to imitate what I thought the people wanted to hear.

I know it is difficult to believe but I actually quite enjoyed the process. It is nothing like business interviews where they are trying to catch you out. They want to see the best of you so let your personality shine through. The people are very friendly and put you at ease throughout.

Best of luck tomorrow!

10. Thanks again for replying!
    What you have said is very helpful. My presentation is mainly going to be about me talking with a few pictures to demonstrate my points. I just didn't want to be the only one not using elaborate props or slides. You have eased my worries somewhat so thank you.
    Now on to more research about the Simple View of Reading' [​IMG]
    Thanks once again for all your advice. Good luck for the future.