1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GTP interview/lesson

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by len87, Mar 5, 2011.

1. len87

len87 New commenter

Hi everyone,
    I have a GTP interview coming up and have been asked to prepare two starter activities for two different lessons. I have had quite a bit of experience when it comes to starters however, they need to be 15 mins long and I am used to starters that last only 5 mins. any suggestions?
    The first class are year 8's who have learnt the story of how the Buddha came to be.
    The second class are year 7's and the topic is as wide as Easter.
    Thank You
    x

2. len87

len87 New commenter

Hi everyone,
    I have a GTP interview coming up and have been asked to prepare two starter activities for two different lessons. I have had quite a bit of experience when it comes to starters however, they need to be 15 mins long and I am used to starters that last only 5 mins. any suggestions?
    The first class are year 8's who have learnt the story of how the Buddha came to be.
    The second class are year 7's and the topic is as wide as Easter.
    Thank You
    x

3. imoney

imoney New commenter

The emphasis for both starters and plenaries seems to be on reflection time. So you could do an IS, or other 'shorter' starter- but then allow for the extra time so that students can 'reflect' on their experience, feedback, conversation.

15 mins does seem quite long for a starter- so you should probably make sure it is relevant to the lesson (starters don't always have to be) and incorporate some opportunity for you to assess the learning of students.