1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GTP interview lesson plan help.

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by Emmylou717, Jun 5, 2011.

1. For my GTP interview I have to prepare a 30 minute lesson for KS3 aimed at level 6 pupils. It doesn`t give any more info than that.

I haven`t taught any lessons before and I haven`t had any experience of planning any yet and wondered if I could get any advice from here.

I understand that as it says to aim at level 6, I should start of with level 5, main work on level 6 and then push for level 7 with assistance.

I am thinking that I should use the starter activity to recap and cover the level 5 stuff, then describe the method and get the kids to use the method in the main activity. and then was thinking of using an old Sats style question for the plenary.

Does that sound like the right way to go.

The only other problem is I am struggling to decide what to teach as I am not entirely sure of the levels. I have looked on the curriculum website but this only gives an overview. Would say plotting lines on a graph from the algebraic form be level 6? with level five being the understanding points on a graph in all four quadrants?

Any advice on whether you think I am on the right lines, or any advice of what to teach would be hugely appreciated.

2. http://www.emaths.co.uk/teachers/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=54&Itemid=55&dir=JSROOT%2FLevelDescriptors/Progessing+Through+the+Levels+Posters

Pick a theme .... I would say not data in 0 mins ... probably Number and Algebra

Go to the 5-6 poster

Choose a topic that you feel confident with

The outline of your lesson sounds fine

3. 30 [​IMG]

4. Thank you.

Those posters are just what I was looking for. Thanks for the advice about subject matter. :)

5. I think this is a very difficult interview task - I'm glad I wasn't expected to do this for my GTP interview! I think the expectation is unreasonable and the information too vague. Teaching algebraic graphs is a sound idea, but what if they've just spent two weeks doing it? If I was your lesson observer I'd be hoping to see someone with the confidence to address a class and to be able to get them doing some maths with enthusiasm. But who knows what this school is after?

6. Good thinking

Perhaps an investigation would be better

I once did Euler as an interview task ... that might work as the use of 3 variables is taxing

7. UNLESS

Do you actually have to teach it, OP, or are they just wanting to see and discuss planning with you ... a check that you know what a lesson looks like and how to aim at the appropriate level

8. Do not fall into the trap of overthinking this. IMO the observer/s will be more interested in seeing how you interact with the students to assess your suitability for teaching rather than assessing the lesson content, which is the reason why they haven't overloaded you with detail for the content. They know that the lesson will not follow the exact model because you have yet to be trained! My advice - keep it simple and don't be lured into the trap of trying to do too much (including talking) othewise you will lose contact with the class. The more you fret over the content of the lesson the worse it will go and the students will pick up on your uncomfortability and respond accordingly. I would forget a starter or plenary and just pick a NC level 6 topic perhaps with a little IT such as powerpoint/autograph (but don't over do it!) and take 10 mins including describing a task - easiest is exercises from a book, particularly as you have only 30 mins. Allow them 15 mins for the task during which don't be afraid to go and mingle with the class, even if they aren't having difficulties. This will show the observer that you are demonstrating empathy with the class. Use the last 5 mins to ask them how the task went for them individually and if they have any questions. Finally do not try and act like a trained, experienced teacher, just be yourself.

9. I bloody well hope the OP has got to deliver the lesson after my last post! [​IMG]

10. This is good advice.
    Do your homework on basic levelling and give examples of levelled work in the lesson but you are not expected to be the finsihed article or deliver an ofsted friendly lesson.
    High pace and challenege, good questionning, interactive and move kids on with passion.
    I would prefer to see a dynamic, enthusiastic example of raw talent over a forced, overly structured wooden lesson full of cliche. Save that twaddle for the men with clipboards

11. In the letter it says:

"Also, please plan a 30 minute lesson for KS3 students working towards a level 6 in your subject area, you will be asked to deliver this lesson, which will be observed, as part of your interview. "

So yes I will have to deliver it. :S

12. Ok, one bit of advice....
    Be quite war of this line
    "for KS3 students <u>working towards</u> a level 6"
    Now, this may mean you have to have a back up plan that drops things down a few levels from this so called 'level 6' including some things you may hve taken for granted. You may be suprised at just how unsecure some knowledge is with kids. They may in reality be level 4 with a high target yet not have got there or have but not made in concrete knowledge

13. Further good advice! [​IMG]

14. Thank you so much for all of your advice.

I think I might use fractions as a topic. Its fairly simple but can go over the level 4/5 stuff before moving onto adding and subtracting fractions (lv 6).

15. I would personally avoid fractions because:
    (1) Its a huge area and requires prior learning which you dont have time to establish. Its also riddled with misconceptions
    (2) Kids often dial out of learning with them if they cant access them early on
    (3) There is minimal scope for showing good teaching as its a basic algorithm
    (4) You may end up diferentiating beyond whats reasonable and have no idea who needs what
    Ok, you can bet your bottom dollar they know what area if or remember it after a basic starter. Why not move that on to the volume of prisms based on a constant cross section. You can look at using the correct terminology and units, introduce some real life application and make the use of ICT if you feel it would enhance their learning. I dont agree with fluff lessons and wouldnt deliver one but I cannot imagine you will get as many takers for adding fractions as you would looking at volumes. At least you can have a chat about it rather than number crunching.
    Dont go overboard, deliver a lesson that you will be able to do lesson in lesson out and show people what you as a teacher can do. Having a better platform will help this. You dont have to do groupwork, you dont have to play along ith the VAK rubbish but get a topic that is not going to be you, you and you learning fractions again. The didactic algorithms can be a bore.

16. KYP

KYP New commenter

My immediate reaction was also to avoid fractions! Area/volume gives lots of scope.

17. Thank you Betamale, some really good points there.

It`s such a nightmare, I feel really pressured as I know most of the other candidates are already cover supervisors so used to taking classes.

I am teaching a science lesson on Thursday so that will be my first time in front of a class then its this interview on Monday.

*off to investigate area/volume stuff*

18. If possible practise your lesson intro a few times infront of somebody or another class. It will help iron out anything that you hadn't thought of in the planning process and it will help with getting your timings right for the real thing. Good luck!

19. Have I missed it?
    Has anyone mentioned the differentiation mantra here yet? [​IMG]

20. no????