1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GTP Interview Help Please

Discussion in 'Primary' started by shamdot, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Hi,
    I was wondering if anyone could offer any advice on my upcoming GTP History interview. The main part I'm not sure about is a 2min talk that we have to do on a curret educational topic. I was thinking of either behaviour management in the classroom or academies and how they have power to choose their own curriculum which may lead to GCSE changes.
    I'm not sure if these topics are good to discuss at an interview situation! Any help/advice will be appreciated.
    Thanks.

2. Hi,
    I was wondering if anyone could offer any advice on my upcoming GTP History interview. The main part I'm not sure about is a 2min talk that we have to do on a curret educational topic. I was thinking of either behaviour management in the classroom or academies and how they have power to choose their own curriculum which may lead to GCSE changes.
    I'm not sure if these topics are good to discuss at an interview situation! Any help/advice will be appreciated.
    Thanks.

3. I'd be wary of the academies thing personally just because you can't pre-empt the views of the interview panel. Behaviour management is probably safer. If you feel you could talk about curriculum review though and the opportunities this will create for schools to decide their own curriculum - and you have some good ideas of what you think would be good to cover that is not in the current curriculum, and why - that could be interesting. You still run the risk though of them just not agreeing with you.

Other educational topics currently include the SEN green paper - I can't remember if that's the latest stage it's got to - but this may be a safer topic if you can take one of the recommendations within it and say how you would envisage implementing it within a history lesson.

I think my only concern with your idea of behaviour management is that it has been a topic in education for decades. You'd have to think of a recent news story or report perhaps that highlighted an issue and then you'd have a more up to date reference to start from. There was one recently for example that spoke of middle class families and the behaviour of their children. Again, though, when it gets onto politics, you have to be careful and you only have 2 minutes.

Even as I'm writing this though, I'm wondering if I'm wrong. 'Academies' is certainly a big issue in schools and it's good to show you're aware of its pros and cons. I'd just remember it comes with a health warning.

4. Hi,
    Thank you for your sound advice. I wasn't too sure about academies but thought as they were a current change it may be a good topic. Your right about the behaviour management being ass old as education itself perhaps.
    Going to have a route around the SEN idea you've given me. Thank you again for your help!! Now it's off to do some work!