1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GTP Interview. Done!

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by katiewest1973, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Had an interview today for GTP (secondary) at Derby Uni. As people are asking on here for advice, thought I'd tell you about my experience.
    We began with being given an outline of the GTP programme, followed by a skills test which included spellings, grammar, maths and a written exercise.
    This was followed by a group interview, which began with each of us having to introduce ourselves, and our reasons for wanting to be a teacher. We then had to discuss as a group a topic of the interviewers choosing. In this case it was essentially our thoughts on what made a good teacher. Then came the individual interviews, which was essentially an opportunity to give some ideas and opinions on classroom management, current educational issues etc.
    As I say, this is only my experience, and I am not suggesting that all interviews/providers will follow this format. Just thought it may be of some use.

2. Had an interview today for GTP (secondary) at Derby Uni. As people are asking on here for advice, thought I'd tell you about my experience.
    We began with being given an outline of the GTP programme, followed by a skills test which included spellings, grammar, maths and a written exercise.
    This was followed by a group interview, which began with each of us having to introduce ourselves, and our reasons for wanting to be a teacher. We then had to discuss as a group a topic of the interviewers choosing. In this case it was essentially our thoughts on what made a good teacher. Then came the individual interviews, which was essentially an opportunity to give some ideas and opinions on classroom management, current educational issues etc.
    As I say, this is only my experience, and I am not suggesting that all interviews/providers will follow this format. Just thought it may be of some use.

3. How was the spelling and maths section? Were they testing general spelling knowledge or more subject specific... did they ask any real hard ones or 'buzz' words?
    How did you find the overall experience? Did it take the 3 hours they suggested or more or less?
    What was the written exercise?

4. General spelling. not subject specific, or education related. The overall experience was very draining but adrenaline keeps you going! Ttook just over 2 1/2 hrs, but did have time for a break and a cuppa between group interview and individual interview.

5. Thanks Katie, Were there four of you? or more? Different subjects? Im pretty sure the format that you had will be the same for me. Spoke to someone who did GTP with Derby last year and they said the same as you. Did they mention anything about funding and places??? As I understand it nothing has still been decided... just owndering if that has influence the number of interviewee's they have had.

And sorry to be pushy again but what does 'general spelling' mean? Example?

6. To be honest, the only one I can remember was 'receipt'!! just general everyday words that often get mis-spelt. There were 10 in all.
    As for numbers, quite a few for the skills test, but then we split into subjects. there were 5 in my group for the interview. No places have been confirmed yet, as the TDA hasn't yet confirmed funding, so its anyones guess when we'll know.

7. Thank you, hopefully tomorrow will go welll... Michael Gove will decide to give tonnes of extra places and then we will obviously see each other in the induction which i think will be sometime during the summer.
    Stephen

8. lol. best of luck. Let us know how you get on.

9. I also had an interview today and had to do a numeracy and literacy test. These followed the format that you can find on the TDA website. Definitely worth giving the practice tests a go, especially if you're a little rusty on maths like me!

10. Hi Katie

Just wondered how you got on with your GTP interview at Derby, I had an interview too (primary) with Derby and I just want to hear if I have got it or not now - am fed up of waiting. I thought my group presentation was cut short, we only managed to say one thing each regarding what makes a good teacher. I felt at the end of my interview that I did not share enough about my skills and abilities, how did you feel?

It would be interesting to hear your views on the whole process - send me a message if you would like to discuss this further.
    Thanks
    Lynnette