1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GTP Interview advice!

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by racheleast, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Help! I have an interview for a GTP and have to do a 30 minute lesson to a Year 3 class, on any topic I want...have no idea where to start, can anyone offer any advice or point me in the right direction of where to look?!
    Also have to do a 5 minute presentation on why I want to be a teacher, and an english and maths test but not too worried about those.
    I have already got a PGCE place at Uni but the GTP would be perfect for me as am leaving a well paid job to pursue teaching and have a young daughter so financially it would be much better, and its at the primary school that I went to.
    Thanks x

2. Help! I have an interview for a GTP and have to do a 30 minute lesson to a Year 3 class, on any topic I want...have no idea where to start, can anyone offer any advice or point me in the right direction of where to look?!
    Also have to do a 5 minute presentation on why I want to be a teacher, and an english and maths test but not too worried about those.
    I have already got a PGCE place at Uni but the GTP would be perfect for me as am leaving a well paid job to pursue teaching and have a young daughter so financially it would be much better, and its at the primary school that I went to.
    Thanks x

3. They will just be looking for a decent speaking and listening activity in half an hour. Avoid a circle time - they are done to death!! I used an idea from the old "Give us a Clue" show - nowadays the children are watching "Copy Cats" which is the same sort of thing. I asked the TA to divide children into small working groups and gave them a set of sentences to act out in order to the rest of the class. They had 10 minutes prep time, 10 minutes to show and then ten minutes for guessing and feedback. This went down well with the observer as all were engaged and it was accessible to all abilities as sentences within the groups were differentiated. I put the sentences into envelopes (children love envelopes) and used a large whiteboard to write up guesses - but you could use the IWB instead.

Hope this helps, think the main thing to remember is that they don't expect miracles, just that you show an awareness of the age group you are with and that you are able to engage the children effectively.