1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GTP Independent School

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by oj205, May 1, 2012.

1. Hi All,
    <font size="2"></font>I'm looking for a bit of help here really!I am currently working in an independent preparatory school in Bristol. I am a recent graduate and am currently helping in a number of glasses as well as sport and PE. I am currently writing a proposal to try and persuade the school to fund a GTP for myself next year in Primary teaching. <font size="2"></font>I obviously therefore want to get all the facts (and negatives) that the school might need to know and the commitment they would have to offer and have two main questions:<font size="2"></font>1. How much would it cost the school to put me through the course? I presume that they would have to pay the provider a set fee that could be taken out of my account? 2. The commitment the school would have to give me? Would I work solely with one classroom teacher or over a number of classes etc.I am currently living within a boarding house, and am on a full salary so feel that the cost to put us through the course would be minimal (and if needs be I would be happy to take a salary cut). I also feel like it is win win for the school as I am a young (24), male, graduate teacher interested in primary and have contributed hugely to the school.<font size="2"></font>Many thanks in advance for your replies, and hope these questions have not been answered before! <font size="2"></font>Oliver

2. Hi All,
    <font size="2"></font>I'm looking for a bit of help here really!I am currently working in an independent preparatory school in Bristol. I am a recent graduate and am currently helping in a number of glasses as well as sport and PE. I am currently writing a proposal to try and persuade the school to fund a GTP for myself next year in Primary teaching. <font size="2"></font>I obviously therefore want to get all the facts (and negatives) that the school might need to know and the commitment they would have to offer and have two main questions:<font size="2"></font>1. How much would it cost the school to put me through the course? I presume that they would have to pay the provider a set fee that could be taken out of my account? 2. The commitment the school would have to give me? Would I work solely with one classroom teacher or over a number of classes etc.I am currently living within a boarding house, and am on a full salary so feel that the cost to put us through the course would be minimal (and if needs be I would be happy to take a salary cut). I also feel like it is win win for the school as I am a young (24), male, graduate teacher interested in primary and have contributed hugely to the school.<font size="2"></font>Many thanks in advance for your replies, and hope these questions have not been answered before! <font size="2"></font>Oliver

3. It would depend on the provider. It's a long time since I trained but there were people who were funded on 'training grant only' places as opposed to the rest of us who were on salary and training grant places. I think the training grant was about &pound;4k so it would probably be slightly more these days. The best thing to do is to get in touch with your local GTP provider and ask them a) if they provide training for self (ie, school) funded GTPs (not all do) and b) if they do how much the training would cost.
    You would have to have a fixed timetable of teaching commitment. It doesn't have to be just one teacher as long as you're hit the same groups every week so can plan for progression and track progress.
    It may not be though.... Think about it from their point of view, they will gain another teacher (albeit a trainee) that they may not actually need (bearing in mind there is low staff turnover in independent preps). They will lose a valuable teaching assistant. Their staff will need to take on additional responsibilities for training you which they might not want to do.
    I think there is an independent school PGCE founded by Chris Woodhead which is aimed at staff already working in the independent sector without QTS as well. That may be worth a look but again you would need a timetable.

4. Thank you very much for your response, it is very much appreciated!

I have contacted the local authority in relation to pricing and am currently waiting for a response, so will wait and here what they say.

In honesty I had never looked at the negatives how you had seen them. Obviously they would be losing me in the current role I supply the school, but I feel that many of the duties that I currently carry out shouldn't be affected by studying for a GTP. Many are involved within the boarding house (after school) as well as within sports and games times, but we shall wait and see.

Would you suggest approaching other schools who are looking for primary teachers and explaining my position, or would many be apprehensive about committing to a GTP student when they could employ someone with all the relevant experience already?

Thanks again!

5. The GTP was intended such that GTP trainees are supernumary so are in addition to a fully staffed school/department. That's why GTPs are generally not recruited from adverts, you wouldn't be able to take a full class on a full timetable which is probably what they are looking for in their advert. Also there is a vast oversupply of primary trained teachers anyway so you wouldn't be first choice I suspect.
    You never know your school may go for the GTP idea. Do many of the teachers in your school have QTS?

6. Muttley_in_the_Midlands

Muttley_in_the_Midlands New commenter

Look at the University of Buckingham PGCE. There are 2 routes - with or without QTS. This is the one that Chris Woodhead is involved with.
    It costs &pound;5000 this year and you have to be employed by a school on a minimum of a 50% timetable.
    Since a PGCE at another university or SCITT provider costs a minimum of &pound;8300 (what I have found so far) then Buckingham is a good option. You could even fund it yourself, as if you were doing a PGCE elsewhere you would have to fund up to &pound;9K tuition fees AND your living costs.
    Good luck