1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GTP in Secondary Art and Design?

Discussion in 'Art and design' started by KateSheldon, Feb 7, 2011.

1. I'm currently working on my Bachelors in Fine Art and have one more year to go. I've been hoping to pursue a career as an Art and Design teacher in a secondary school in the West Midlands. Ideally I would like to apply for a GTP to do this, but am not sure about the best way to go about it. Any advise would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. I'm currently working on my Bachelors in Fine Art and have one more year to go. I've been hoping to pursue a career as an Art and Design teacher in a secondary school in the West Midlands. Ideally I would like to apply for a GTP to do this, but am not sure about the best way to go about it. Any advise would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

3. Hi Kate,
    I did my GTP at Worcester University but I don't think they offer a GTP in Art & Design anymore, however a friend of mine is currently doing one at Thomas Telford School which is accredited through the University of Stafford (I think). Other than that I'm not sure as it seems there are less and less GTP places available, let alone many schools with the money to support one! Try to get some voluntary work in a school near to you and discuss it with them, they may be keen to support you or be able to point you in the right direction, and in the mean time you'll get experience in a school (which is a pre-requisite). Alternatively a PGCE?
    Hope this helps.
    Lindsay

4. josiejosie

josiejosie New commenter

You could also try Teach First if you're keen to learn on the job

5. Thank you for your help. I was concerned with the availability of GTPs at the moment especially in my subject area. I am due to take on a placement at a local school for a week so perhaps I can enquire then! Many thanks. Kate.

6. Josiejosie, thanks also for that - I'm going to take a look at Teach First now as I am very keen to learn through on the job training. Thanks again. Kate.