1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GTP in maths wanting to teach in New Zealand

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by silverfern, Jun 27, 2011.

1. silverfern

silverfern New commenter

2. mrswallow

mrswallow New commenter

Auckland University offered a course that would enable you to teach in NZ with a GTP. However, it was for people who have a job and registration ended in March. So maybe not. But they may run it again.
    You could concievably get a 'Limited Authority to Teach' registration if you lined up a job and the principal of the school makes an application (I think)
    There is also a whisper that there will be a similar scheme to the GTP running here in NZ soon, so that may (MAY) be a precursor to GTP becoming accepted.

3. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

I doubt this is the case. Unlike the UK, you still have to be registered with the New Zealand Teachers Council in order to teach in private schools. So if the GTP isn't acceptable they won't be able to employ you. Also, you will find that private schools are invariably top decile, or very near the top, and the competition for jobs in these schools is intense.

4. Thank you for this advice. I have contacted the teaching council and think my best bet is to apply through track 2. Fingers crossed! Would be awful to have to retrain but really want to continue teaching.