1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GTP in a special needs school?

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by savface, Apr 12, 2011.

1. I was just wondering whether this can be an option? I have not been accepted onto a PGCE Primary, and considering the financial struggle that that would now involve I am a little thankful, as if I had been accepted I would not have been able to finance myself through the duration of it and would had to have declined. All my experience lies within special needs settings. I have worked across the Key Stages in a special needs school for a year, have worked in a primary special needs school for six months and am now working in a respite unit for children with severe learning disabilities. I really miss teaching and would be grateful of any information regarding teacher training in special schools.
    Many thanks!

2. I recently had a GTP interview and another of the candidates there was an HLTA in a Special Needs school. She had interviews with two GTP providers and was planning to do her training in the Special Needs school. However I believe that the rule for her was that she had to do a term long placement (rather than the usual half term placement) in mainstream (which I believe is always the case for students in special needs).

So I assume that it is therefore generally accepted as possible to do the GTP in a special needs school. Good luck!