1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GTP - GTC?

Discussion in 'Professional development' started by minxyfish, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    I've also posted this in the GTP forum, so apologies if you've already seen it.
    Are GTPers members of the GTC or not? I qualified on the GTP in summer 2007 in a high school, but have worked in a 6th form college since Sep 2007.
    Basically, I have joined the IfL on the college's persuasion and we are all now being hounded about renewing our memberships. However, there seems to be confusion about whether 6th form teachers have to be members of either GTC or IfL/both/neither.
    To be honest, I don't know or understand what either of them do!
    Do I have to be a member of one?
    Thanks,
    Minxyfish

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I don't know about IfL, but you must be a member of the GTC.

3. Thanks, I'll get in touch with college then (I'm off on mat leave at the moment).

4. Teachers in sixth form college, even those with QTS, do not currently need to be a member of the GTC, and that has been the case since the creation of the GTC.It is only teachers in maintained schools and non-maintained special schools who have to stay in the GTC. You can remain a member if you wish, although you have to pay all your own fees and won't get the £33 which school teachers get as contribution to the fees. Teachers in sixth form colleges also do not currently need to be member of the IfL, and that again has been the case since the creation of the IfL.

5. Actually teachers in sixth form college are not subject to school teachers' pay and conditions, we have our own pay and conditions, although in most ways they are almost identical to school teachers' pay and conditions.

6. Sixth Form Colleges have their own payscale, although it is almost identical to the school teachers' pay scale (or was until this year as we didn't get the pay rise which school teachers got).

7. Just to add, in the future it could go either way, either we have to join the IfL, or have to be part of the system that replaces the GTC, the latest information (the previous government kept dithering between 2006-2010 on when and whether we would have the join the IfL or GTC) is that we will probably come under whatever replaces the GTC in the future rather than the IfL.

8. I just found the official advice for sixth form colleges, here it is:
    IfL and GTCE Registration
    <font size="3" face="Arial,Arial">The Sixth Form Colleges Forum and the teacher unions have agreed joint advice regarding teachers in sixth form colleges&rsquo; registration with the IfL or GTCE.
    </font>