1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GTP for Jan 2012...Too late?

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by DeeIsmail, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Hi,

I am a Design graduate, and i want to go into teaching at primary school level.

Ideally I would like to go through the GTP but i know this is highly competitive and previous experience working in a school environment is a prerequisite.

Since the start of this new year i have been thinking about ways to make this career change possible but i feel overwhelmed and a bit lost in all the research.

Can anyone advise me on whether its possible to apply for a GTP for Jan 2012, where to look for an available position,
    and if it;s possible to apply for a GTP as well as applying to go back to Uni to train... can I apply for both?

To gain more experience with children, i have applied to be a girl guide volunteer, which should start after the half term...

anyone who has been through it, or is going through it, any advice will be welcome!

ideally i would like to teach art and design, which is what i would go back to uni to train for if the GTP didn't work out, but the GTP is my first choice.

Thank you!

Daniya

2. Hi,

I am a Design graduate, and i want to go into teaching at primary school level.

Ideally I would like to go through the GTP but i know this is highly competitive and previous experience working in a school environment is a prerequisite.

Since the start of this new year i have been thinking about ways to make this career change possible but i feel overwhelmed and a bit lost in all the research.

Can anyone advise me on whether its possible to apply for a GTP for Jan 2012, where to look for an available position,
    and if it;s possible to apply for a GTP as well as applying to go back to Uni to train... can I apply for both?

To gain more experience with children, i have applied to be a girl guide volunteer, which should start after the half term...

anyone who has been through it, or is going through it, any advice will be welcome!

ideally i would like to teach art and design, which is what i would go back to uni to train for if the GTP didn't work out, but the GTP is my first choice.

Thank you!

Daniya

3. HiI think em direct are taking on more places as they have been allocated more by TDA. You will need some school experience to get in.

4. Thank you so much Graham!

i have been in touch with local schools to ask if they accept any observers, but so far i have had no luck... i'm not really sure of the etiquette when talking to a school, so far i have taken then 'career change, need teaching experience, 4 week observation period needed' route... but no luck. is it too pushy to call them, or even turn up?

i am attending the train to teach event this friday so hope to gain some clarity there.

is there a certain way to ask if they would consider taking me on for a GTP place too?

all your advice is very appreciated

many thanks!

Daniya