1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GTP- enough experience?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by hp2010, Jun 20, 2011.

1. I have one year left of my degree in early childhood studies, want to get into primary teaching and ideally want to get onto the gtp rather than pgce, as i have a young family so the paid option would be preferable. Could someone look at my experience below and tell me whether i have got a chance, or if I am wasting my time and should concentrate on pgce application:

100 hours in my local primary school over period of a year, previous to starting my degree.
    2 early years placements over the past year as part of my course.
    volunteer with charity Volunteer Reading Help which involves reading with 3 children twice a week, since jan 2011.
    2 weeks in a year 6 class, particularly observing behaviour management strategies.......

Other experience working with children:
    telelphone counsellor with childline (nspcc).
    work experience in a museum- Learning department.........

I have been building up a portfolio of lessons and activities that I have done with the children (this was an assignment that I have continued to add to)... through my experience I have become confident in using the EYFS to plan for the children's learning and development.
    Does this sound like sufficient experience to be applying for gtp? or will they just look at it and laugh?!

2. I have one year left of my degree in early childhood studies, want to get into primary teaching and ideally want to get onto the gtp rather than pgce, as i have a young family so the paid option would be preferable. Could someone look at my experience below and tell me whether i have got a chance, or if I am wasting my time and should concentrate on pgce application:

100 hours in my local primary school over period of a year, previous to starting my degree.
    2 early years placements over the past year as part of my course.
    volunteer with charity Volunteer Reading Help which involves reading with 3 children twice a week, since jan 2011.
    2 weeks in a year 6 class, particularly observing behaviour management strategies.......

Other experience working with children:
    telelphone counsellor with childline (nspcc).
    work experience in a museum- Learning department.........

I have been building up a portfolio of lessons and activities that I have done with the children (this was an assignment that I have continued to add to)... through my experience I have become confident in using the EYFS to plan for the children's learning and development.
    Does this sound like sufficient experience to be applying for gtp? or will they just look at it and laugh?!

3. I am a PGCE student and whilst the nature of the two courses are different, I think a person's suitability for each course will be pretty similar. Being able to reflect on your experiences in school is far more important than amount of time spent there (over and above the minimum experience needed), so keep doing what you are doing, make notes on what you have learned from your experiences, why you think things are done a certain way, and what you would maybe do differently next time. All of this will help you with your application. Apply for the course you really want so that your enthusiasm comes across in your application.

4. You sound like you have plenty of experience but as you seem to know GTP is more difficult to get onto and personally I think the uni imput on the PGCE prepares people better to teach. GTP places seem to go to people currently working in a school and can be very differnt some school train while other use as cheep cover. PGCE has more structure for you and school to follow and allows you to see different schools to see what environment you wnat to teach in.
    There nothing to lose by applying and am sure people apply with a lot less.

5. Hi,
    I would encourage you whole heartedly to apply for both PGCE and GTP. In the state that the economy and general market is in i don't believe any should 'put all their eggs in one basket'. I have managed to get a place on a GTP for this September and think your experience would see you through the application short-listing and well into an interview. What is always good to sort out is a school that will train you.

In terms of explaining that you feel you'd be wasting your time in applying for a course you're not sure about I'd say...it wouldn't take that much time to put in another one or two applications. My friend applied for both GTP and PGCE and said that once you've done one form the majority is then copy and pasted into many others.

Hope this helps.

Sarah

6. If you possibly want to teach abroad you will need the PGCE as GTP isn't recognised by most countries overseas. Sorry can't help more than that, but it might be an important consideration for you or someone else :)