1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GTP clarification needed

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by SGTP86, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Hello all,

I am currently in my 3rd year of 4 at the University of Chichester studying Adventure Education. This year is spent out in 'industry' and as I hope to become a primary teacher I have got a job as a full time Y3 and Y4 TA for the year. I have also completed my Forest Schools L3 training, a few climbing and kayaking qualifications aswell as more traditional sports. But anyway...

I have been interested in the GTP for a while now and there is one thing that I am still not 100% on; If I hope to start my GTP year at a school in Sept 2013, do I interview for a classroom teacher in April, May June ish and upon getting offered the job contact the university and try and get accepted on to a a GTP course OR do I contact the university, interview for the course and then go and find a job.

Also, how is a good way to convince your interviewers of your intentions to take part in a GTP course if they have had no previous GTP's through the school?

Thanks
    Stuart

2. Hello all,

I am currently in my 3rd year of 4 at the University of Chichester studying Adventure Education. This year is spent out in 'industry' and as I hope to become a primary teacher I have got a job as a full time Y3 and Y4 TA for the year. I have also completed my Forest Schools L3 training, a few climbing and kayaking qualifications aswell as more traditional sports. But anyway...

I have been interested in the GTP for a while now and there is one thing that I am still not 100% on; If I hope to start my GTP year at a school in Sept 2013, do I interview for a classroom teacher in April, May June ish and upon getting offered the job contact the university and try and get accepted on to a a GTP course OR do I contact the university, interview for the course and then go and find a job.

Also, how is a good way to convince your interviewers of your intentions to take part in a GTP course if they have had no previous GTP's through the school?

Thanks
    Stuart

3. Muttley_in_the_Midlands

Muttley_in_the_Midlands New commenter

Stuart
    You need to have a good look at the TDA website which is where you apply for GTP. But in the meantime, this is what I understand (I am also applying for GTP)
    Firstly, on a GTP you need to be super-numerary ie. not filling a vancancy. It is possible and people have done it but the training colleges/universities don't like it because it leaves less time for you to study etc. I think you start as a GTP with a 60% timetable and by the end you are taking on 80%, which is pretty much what you will get in your NQT year too.
    Some providers like you to have a placement before you apply and others will accept your application without having yet secured a placement. You can search on the TDA website for a training provider and the page will tell you what they want. I applied early to all those who didn't need you to have the school placement yet. I am now approaching all the schools trying to find a placement for the year.
    I think the training providers like you to go to certain "partner schools" that they have worked with before. Some are more stringent on this than others. Most of them say that you need to find an Ofsted Outstanding school for your GTP year. If they have had no previous GTPs it may be more difficult for you as you have to have a mentor and someone else to supervise you etc.
    From what I can gather, teacher training is like gaining an NVQ. It's all about having done the right courses to start with and then demonstrating loads of competences and ticking every single box on a list of standards. You can only demonstrate those standards in the classroom by having someone observe you teach and if you aren't supernumerary then who is going to have the time to achieve that?
    I hope this helps and if I've got the wrong end of the stick, hopefully someone else will come along and put us both right!
    Best of luck

4. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

First of all GTP is an employment route so you need a school prepared to offer you a post if you secure a training place. Its 2 applications really one for schools one for the training provider (university). A few training providers do have a partnership system where they recruit and select then place you in schools but these are becoming less common as most uni's expect you to find the school. The whole system is likely to change this year as the number of ITT places beconme redistributed ( cut) and the impact of the new training schools begins to be felt.
    You need to investigate the stuation locally as places are allocated to specific providers across the country. The TDA website fas the current list. In my experience the majority of successful primary GTP's gain experience in schools first through working/volunteering as a TA and the GTP route is highly competitive

5. Great thanks for both replies.
    I have been speaking to GTP co ordinators at the university as well as contacting schools regarding the matter.
    Thanks again for you help / clarification

Stuart