1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GTP change to PGCE

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by mrmathsguy, May 16, 2011.

1. I am currently doing a GTP and have had a rather dismal experience - I am approaching QTS evaluation and feel like I will be steered through - but I have serious concerns regarding my experience and how it will position me for success in my NQT year.
    I have an offer for a a PGCE at a university this September and am considering withdrawing from the GTP and taking up my PGCE placement - is it possible?

2. Yes, it is possible. Your experience will help you in the PGCE course and in the NQT after that. Good luck.

3. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

If they're going to pass you, why not let them? Why not have the QTS?
    If you feel you're not actually up to the job as a NQT yet then do some volunteering, get a job as a TA, do supply or something.
    Doing a PGCE will cost you a lot of money and the QTS you'll get at the end of it is worth no more than the QTS you're about to get.

4. I agree with PaulDG - why pass up the opportunity to gain QTS?
    However, it ultimately has to be your decision and will stem from WHAT you think you are lacking or WHY you don't feel ready for your NQT year. If it's the theoretical/psychological side of the training which is arguably more rigorous on a PGCE then can you perhaps replicate that another way?
    Perhaps a few modules towards a Masters? Or some courses from the OU? The money you would save from not doing the PGCE would pay for several distance courses I'm sure.