1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GTP Baby

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by shoegal86, Aug 27, 2009.

1. Hi there
    Need advice! I am starting my GTP this September. I have just moved into my own home with my long term boyfriend. We are really desperate for a baby. I know the sane thing to do would be to wait until after my GTP and after my NQT but I don't think I can wait. I have been thinking about trying half way through the school year so the baby will be due after I have done my GTP and waiting until after the birth of my child to look for a NQT placement. Is this a really bad idea? I know I wont get any form of maternity pay - any advice?!?!?

Shoegal x

2. How old are you Shoe gal and how would you manage financially. If you can put it off for a while, I would just to get the training out of the way. I definitely wouldn't advise trying halfway through the year because you might be unlucky and be poorly in the first few weeks like me which would really get in the way of your training.
    I really do sympathise because I know lots of people who couldn't wait to just get on and ttc

3. If you're young (under 30) and healthy then wait. You could start trying during your NQT year once you'd got to the point where you wouldn't give birth until the year was finished e.g. try in Nov 2010 for an Aug 2011 baby.

4. I echo Daisynell in that for some people pregnancy = not able to work for a while... I really didn't think I'd have to have time off in the first few months but I did and if it wasn't for the summer hols I'd have been off for a lot of the time in the 4 months I've been pregnant. So, if you really can't wait then you have to be willing to potentially have to stop training / be without income / repeat a placement when you've had the baby etc.
    I was ACHING to have a baby for over a year before we went for it, and it was tough, but the time passed, the PGCE got finished (and was hard work - would have been impossible with the severe sickness I've had) and I got pregnant in the last term of my NQT. I completed the year but with a modified timetable and some days off.

5. I agree with the above. I felt awful for my entire pregnancy. Sickness, tiredness, achy, worried something woould go wrong. I was not bad enough to warrant much time off but came home and went straught to bed most nights. I did the bare minumum work I could get away with. I certaibly could not have coped with the GTP workload.

6. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

I also agree. I got pregnant in September, which was the start of my 4th year of teaching, and I could never have coped had it been my PGCE or NQT year. I didn't even suffer with sickness or anything and had a really easy pregnancy, but I was tired a lot.
    You don't say how old you are, but I'm sure you could wait for a couple of years.

7. being pregnant and preparing for my babies took most of my energies. i was very focussed on baby and teaching took a back seat (not very professional i am afraid but true!)
    certainly couldn't have coped in the classroom with less experience

i would wait and enjoy your new house and job for a while first

8. I also asked a similar question before I got pregnant. I was due to start my PGCE this September but we were desperate for a baby. I was told to wait if I can until after training and NQT year but I couldn't. You never know how long it will take for you to get pregnant, or if it will happen straight away. The teaching profession will always be there. It may be hard work to do your GTP being pregnant or your NQT year with a baby but you will never know what it's like to it without being pregnant or with a baby. I would say if you really want a baby go for it. Don't put it off, your career will always be there!

9. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

If Shoegal86 was actually born in 1986 then she will only be 22 or 23. That's young enough to get her GTP and NQT years out of the way and she'll only be 25 when she starts trying.
    I'm speaking as someone who did her PGCE and NQT not pregnant and then has experienced being pregnant with 3 years teaching experience (4 if you count the PGCE). Doing teacher training is so, so tiring and so is the NQT year. I had a very easy pregnancy and I still found teaching really hard, even with my experience.
    You will also get proper maternity pay if you've completed your NQT year and are staying in the same school, and it will give you chance to save up a bit too.

10. Shoegal, Ontheroad isn't wrong at all - and your career isn't the most important thing in the world. My point earlier was more about making sure you have an awareness that sometimes pregnancy doesn't mean things being a bit harder and you being more exhausted - some people get very ill. You'd probably be able to carry on with your plans, albeit with modifications, more challenge and way less cash.... but you need to also to be psychologically prepared that it MIGHT not be possible to do it.
    For a negative but possible scenario... you could be too ill to do your GTP and also to work, you'd have the baby but as no work / benefits in the months leading up to birth you would struggle to find a way to pay for costs of living and childcare whilst training later.
    I'm not trying to be doom and gloom!! I am just currently in the position where I can see my career being on hold in a big way for the next few years - I had expected big breaks in my career from near birth... but not from conception! Most people don't get so ill in pregnancy (some get far far more unwell!) but it is a possibility. If you are willing to gamble on that possibility then go for it - I may be sick but I'm very excited to be growing my baby!

11. ontheroad26, I'm assuming you're going to be OK to live on your OH's money alone. If that's the case with the OP, then she can also just go for it. What's happening about your PGCE now you're expecting?
    I'm one of those who left it too late to try which is why I suggested the OP didn't wait if she was over a certain age. Obviously, I've never been pregnant but having done PGCE and NQT year, they involve ridiculous workloads which I can't imagine balancing with morning sickness, sleepless nights etc. However, I know some people manage it!

12. I have no pregnancy experience but did the GTP.
    I've been teaching for 6 years and could not imagine being able to concentrate on anything else whilst completing such an intense course. I was very lucky with my school but colleagues of mine were used as cheap supply within their school. Also some were so sick during the first year. It was a challenge as it completely consumed my life.
    I know that people must manage it but it must be difficult. Personally I'm only ready for a baby now at 31, having established myself in school and knowing what I want out of life.
    Good luck with whatever you choose to do, but just spare a thought for how intense initital teacher training and NQT year is x

13. Hi Shoegal came across this post and am in a very similar situation.

What did you decide in the end?