1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GTP assessment days, what to expect and info on the Maths task!

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by alex02, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Hey all,
    I have my GTP interview day on friday and i'm so concerned about the 'maths task' that they are so vague about! i just scraped a C at GSE and although im trying to revise, i just dont know where to start or what might come up on the test.
    If anyone has been through a similar kind of interview any tips would be great. it also includes a literacy test and a presentation of some sort.

Thank you
    Alex

2. Hey all,
    I have my GTP interview day on friday and i'm so concerned about the 'maths task' that they are so vague about! i just scraped a C at GSE and although im trying to revise, i just dont know where to start or what might come up on the test.
    If anyone has been through a similar kind of interview any tips would be great. it also includes a literacy test and a presentation of some sort.

Thank you
    Alex

3. Hi Alex.

Is it Primary or Secondary?

For Primary you will likely get a KS2 or KS3 standard test. For secondary it may be GCSE level but not 100% as not applied for Secondary.

I used the BBC Bitesize to revise and started in KS2 & worked up to KS3. KS2 might seem simple when you read it but it is good to get the brain back working again and will give you a good base after relying on calculators for too long (like me!).

The bitesize doesnt take too long to go through but they also offer multiple choice which is a bit easier. Try and do the workings on paper without looking at the possible answers to really test yourself.

There is also a website called MathsMadeEasy.co.uk that has previous test papers etc.. so you can practice on questions as they will be written on the day.

Everyones advice to me was to relax! Work hard before and you will be fine.

Literacy is normally writing a passage as far as I can tell. I have been told that the content is not as important as the punctuation and grammar etc... but you still want to write a decent piece.

For the presentation it will be specific to your provider but just test it on friends and family to ensure it is actually interesting to watch rather than just loads of facts about teaching. I 'tried' to make mine original and fun. Not sure if it worked yet but fingers crossed!!

Good luck!

4. Thank you for the reply :) It's secondary im going for. i've been looking at KS3 stuff mainly percentages and fractions but its all very daunting , i'll head back to bitesize and stick with it and hope everything else goes okay on the day. Hope everything works out for you! [​IMG]

5. Hi. I'm on a secondary GTP, and had to do a maths task as part of assessment day. I wouldn't worry too much - like the other poster, just do some practise to get your brain back in gear. I think KS3 stuff is what it's mainly based on. Try not to let it stress you out too much!

Good luck x