1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GTP Application help!

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by KT1978, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Hi,

I am intending to apply for a place on a GTP course this year, and I would appreciate some help from people who know! I work full time, in a non-teaching environment, however, have many of the accompanying skills required in a teaching role. I have managed to forge links with a local school and plan on using my remaining annual leave this year to volunteer in the school, this should give me approx 2 weeks, maybe a couple of days more. I am also doing voluntary work at a Training for Success scheme (an after school club which assists with literacy, numeracy and ICT) in my local area after work. I have suddenly started to panic that I will not have enough classroom experience when I submit my application....am I being paranoid?? Any help will be appreciated!

Keelie

2. Hi,

I am intending to apply for a place on a GTP course this year, and I would appreciate some help from people who know! I work full time, in a non-teaching environment, however, have many of the accompanying skills required in a teaching role. I have managed to forge links with a local school and plan on using my remaining annual leave this year to volunteer in the school, this should give me approx 2 weeks, maybe a couple of days more. I am also doing voluntary work at a Training for Success scheme (an after school club which assists with literacy, numeracy and ICT) in my local area after work. I have suddenly started to panic that I will not have enough classroom experience when I submit my application....am I being paranoid?? Any help will be appreciated!

Keelie

3. Hi Keelie
    I have applied for GTP starting in September and have been successful in getting an interview and I only have two weeks school experience. I took annual leave and unpaid leave to get my experience and hope to try and get some more before September when the course starts. I am a brownie leader so am guessing this experience of working with young children has helped me to get this far. I think you will have enough experience and shouldn't panic! The fact that you volunteer at the training for success scheme will all be in your favour! Hope that helps :)

4. Hi
    I'm also thinking about applying for the GTP but wondered how hard it is to find a training school. Did you find the school before applying?

5. jek228

jek228 New commenter

Hi, I hate to be negative but I think you may have left it far too late for this years intake for the GTP. Most DRB's close applications after December, although there may still be some places left. You really need to do some research into the GTP and remember it is highly competitive, most successful applicants have years of school experience, often taking whole classes. I have an education background and currently cover whole classes in a secondary school. I had my interview for a GTP English Secondary place in January. There were 14 shortlisted for interview and only 4 were put through to the next stage. I am first on the reserve list, however this is a particularly tough year to apply for TT due to the new government implementing huge cuts to Initial Teacher Training, the universities are in a state of turmoil at the moment as they have to now juggle the funding and many people will miss out, even those conditionally offered a place. I was gutted as teaching is my dream and I have so much experience and support from my school. I'm hoping and praying I may still get a place for Sep. but if not will have to try again.
    First of all you need to find a school willing to employ you and support you through your GTP year. Once you find a school they will help you apply to one or more DRB's (Designated Recommended Bodies), these will normally be the universities in your region. Once your application is sent to them you may be shortlisted for interview, they normally take place between Jan - March. If you are successful in the interview they will probably want to see you in your school, possibly teaching! You will also have to do a literacy and numeracy test and if this is all successful you will be offered a place. The school pays you a salary and the govenment fund the additional 5k. If you don't already work in a school it can be very difficult to find a GTP position, not many schools advertise, so you have to 'put yourself out there.' Also you have to remember that the GTP is ideally for maturer candidates with good experience, although transferrable and life skills are highly looked on. As I have found out it is very, very, competitive and the process is long, tough and stressfull with no gurantees. They really are looking for the right people who know what they are getting themselves into. I hate to patronize you but teaching is incredibly tough and without much education experience you cannot possibly know what you are letting yourself in for, or indeed if you even want to do it!
    Having said all this, I am not trying to put you off, I just want you to be aware of the realities. It is good that you have found volunteer work. Whilst there really try and gain as much from it as you can and try and see the rough and the smooth, only then can you really decide if it is the job for you.
    Good luck.

6. Thanks! I have links with a school who are being very helpful about what the GTP involves etc, and I'm lucky where I live in the sense that I don't have to find a school willing to support me, as that is all done for me. I am being very realistic about what will be involved and the work I will have to do etc., and have experience of teaching adults AS levels psychology, and young offenders and adult prisoners substance use programmes. My latest experience is more tailored towards children of a primay school age, but just suddenly conscious that I may not have enough experience when I apply in September for 2012 intake.

Unfortunately I am in a position where I cannot quit work to take a lower paid, teaching related role, as I need to use my salary for the next X months (between now and when I eventually start - assuming I get a place at some time!) to save so I can take a substantial salary drop to do this. I also can't drop a day at work and go part time etc, as work won't go for that! Hence my panic as there isn't a great deal more I can do, than use annual leave and do voluntary work!

But thatnks all for your help! It is greatly appreciated! (good luck in your interview!!)

7. I think half the battle is having a link in the School already. If they know you, they already trust you and that I think is vital in a teaching enviroment.
    I actually came about my GTP by having an abservation day at my old Secondary School, i was encouraged to apply for the GTP post. I didn't however take this for granted, I still submitted a full Letter of application with a relevant C.V. and worked har prior to the interview day.
    I had no experience teaching and minimal experience in a teaching enviroment.
    Show how transferrable your current skills are to teaching, amongst passion and desire. Also, speak to as many teachers (preferably HOD's or Heads) as possible to find out what they find desirable in Teachers.
    Best of luck!

8. jek228

jek228 New commenter

Hi Keeley,
    Your experience looks very impressive and will make a huge difference. As you are applying for next years intake you also have the benefit of a year to gain as much as you can from volunteering, so I think you should be very hopeful, especially if you are going for Primary as the funding has almost been doubled!
    I know what you mean about working. Luckily as I said I am already at a school but I couldn't afford to do the PGCE for financial reasons. It's a bit soul destroying as this would have given me another option and I am so desperate to be a teacher, it's all I think about (very sad!).
    Best of luck, as I said in my previous post I didn't want to sound patronizing, but it looks like you are completely aware of what is involved and are certainly approaching it in the right way.