1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GTP Application - Help Needed!!

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by rbunting, Oct 4, 2010.

1. All i've ever wanted to do is become a PE teacher and being 28 years of age now felt the time is right. I applied through the GTP last year and got turned down on the basis of the "quality of my applicant letter not to a sufficient standard." i am not giving up on my dream but I think i need some help achieving it, any hints / tips for applying for the GTP would be greatfully received and appreciated........ PLEASE HELP!!!!

2. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Firstly you need to appreciate that GTP is massively oversubscribed and PE does not count as a shortage subject so has even fewer places. The majority of successful GTPs I see tend to be working in the school as TA or coach prior to starting GTP. Do check whether you have to find a school place first or if the EBITT receives central applications as there may be more merit in focusing upon getting a school place prior to applying to the EBITT.The EBITT may simply be going through the motions but in effect rejecting anyone without a school.There is a useful boooklet on the prospects.ac .uk website which guides applicants applying for PGCE most of the advice is relevant to GTP.
    This year also apply for PGCE courses as there are more and more applicants for GTP and by the time a GTP place is fully confirnmed you wouyld miss the PGCE application deadlines.

3. You are welcome to have a look at my application or email me any questions as I have just started my GTP. I agree that if you really want to do it, then apply to other routes into teaching. For acceptance onto GTP you will be expected to have demonstrated significant experience as either a TA, or EFL teacher or something. My email address is nyreebons@gmail.com and I'll answer any questions when I get time so please feel free to ask.

Good Luck!

4. Hey,
    I am on the GTP this year, and have had no prior school experience since I left 7 years ago. I was however, selected due to my connections within the Scouts. I used to run a few groups on a regular basis and took part in camps etc. So if you do one thing this year find your local scout group and become a leader! It's usually only 2 hours 1 night a week, and it helps with working with kids, collaborating with parents, organising activities, behaviour management, you wouldn't believe how many school boxes the scouts tick.
    As for the application letter, I would be happy to share mine if you want to read through and compare with others and compile something of your own. Let me know.
    Hope that helps!

5. Don't give up! I applied for a PGCE a few years ago and got turned down because my supporting statement wasn't good enough (they were right, it was rubbish!).
    But I now have a GTP place starting in January. I spent ages on the application form this time, and especially made sure I sold myself well on the supporting statement. You are welcome to look at my application too.

6. I'd really appreciate if I could have a look at your supporting statement for the GTP application - I'm really stuck at this part and any pointers would be really helpful

Thanks

7. Hi, same here i have wanted to be a PE teacher for as long as i can remember. I finished my degree 2 years ago and i am currently working as a TA - this was so i could gain experience in classrooms as my other placements were practical based. I am wanting to apply for the GTP but i am struggling with the statement - if anyone has any tips on what i should write about please help

8. <font size="2">Hi I am also applying for a GTP but in Design Technology. I am finding it difficult on what the content should be a how should put it all together!</font><font size="2">Any suggestions would be most appreciated</font> Best Wishes,
    Louise

9. <font face="Arial">Hi there,

I
    am writing in response to a message that you posted on a TES forum
    offering prospective GTP students the chance to look at your successful
    application. Would it be possible for you to send me your application
    too, so that I can see what kind of experience / skills I should be
    including? My email address is: tomsimkin@hotmail.com

Thank you in advance for any assistance,

Tom Simkin</font>