1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GTP... any advice before I start?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by zimon, May 13, 2011.

1. The best way to prepare?
    See all your friends as much as possible
    Make the most of your free time
    Spend time with your family
    Clear lots of space on your Sky+ box
    Go on holiday
    Relax
    I guess you could take a look at a textbook or two a bit if you really wanted to!

Seriously though, don't stress, don't try to prepare. You will be prepped with what you need when you start. Free time doesn't come easy in your GTP year (well, after October at least...).
    I (hopefully) get signed off next week, and wouldn't change this last year for the world. It's a great experience, and I feel ready for 'my own' classes - just enjoy your free time and see your friends now while you can!

2. englishteach101

englishteach101 Occasional commenter

I agree with the above, take as much time for yourself now as you can. You won't have any next year. Get any jobs done around the house that you have been meaning to do (I have a hallway that has been half-painted for the past year and it's driving me mad, but I have no time to do it!?!) and see friends and family.
    Buy lever arch files, polypockets, notebooks, pens, staples, paperclips now. I've found that organising my paperwork has really helped. It's also useful if you can give over some space in your house to leave paperwork out in, rather than having to keep tidying it away. Mine is currently living spread out on my spare bed (I mentioned that I don't have time to see friends, so I don't get many people stop over so this suits me well). Make sure you file things as you go along, so set your filing system up now would be good.

This is little stuff really though, so make the most of your time before the madness begins! I get signed off in 4 weeks and 5 days, so I'm counting down the time until I get my life back now!
    Good luck with it all xx

3. angiekw

angiekw New commenter

I'm due to finish in a few weeks and I would agree with everyone else just relax and take as much time for yourself as possible as the GTP year is crazy! I wouldn't change it for the world though but free time is precious, if you do get any time to research your subject further I would as the kids have a knack of asking the most bizarre questions that you never even thought existed! x