1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GTP and teaching abroad

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by goon1984, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Hi, i'm sure this thread has been done before but i was hoping someone could help me. I did my GTP a few years ago, but qualified with a PGCE through doing 1/3 of a Masters at the same time. does this make me elligible to teach abroad or do i have to do some kind of extra course that i have heard whispers about?!

Many thanks in advanve for your help guys, Ian

2. moscowbore

moscowbore Occasional commenter

I am GTP qualified and never had any trouble getting employed abroad. This has been done to death. Try the search box.

3. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

A little harsh perhaps, qatarsoon?
    I would like to suggest that "getting employed abroad" is a rather flexible term, at best. There are schools (the ones that make one think of the Cockney rhyming slang for having a chat) where the so-called "teachers" often do not have any training or qualifications at all.

4. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

A pointless post in so many ways:
    1. the experience of a single teacher doesn't make a trend
    2. Anyone can get jobs overseas, even without qualifications and 'without any trouble', if they stick to 45h or 5th tier schools and don't mind getting paid in peanuts for lunch and grapes for dinner.
    3. Ignores the recent thread that suggested PGCE is preffered (amongst many schools) to GTP, but won't completely discount GTP teachers.
    @OP - as you have the PGCE certificate, just mention that rather than GTP, in applications.

5. moscowbore

moscowbore Occasional commenter

Yes, It does seem a bit harsh. I was in a hurry. Point I was making was that I had a choice of international posts both times I applied. GTP is not accepted by NZ and Oz. As far as I know everywhere else just wants QTS and the route does not matter. My own school in sunny Qatar happily hires GTPers as did my previous school in Vietnam. If the number of applicants goes up as british teachers are made redundant and remaining teachers get sick of being sworn at then the route to QTS may be a way of filtering the applications. I dont think we have reached that stage yet.