1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GTP and Pay

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by anon82, Sep 14, 2008.

1. How much is the avegare pay for a GTP student please? Does it vary according to what school you work at or is there a set pay? How much does this go up by when you have finished your training. Not sure if this helps but i work in Bedfordshire.
    The reason why i ask is that my head wants to pay me £18.000 per year. I have been told that she is taking advantage and should pay me much more. In saying this, i have no idea how it works. Ive been at the school for three years whilst doing my BA Education studies so its not as if im new to the school.
    Can you please give me an insight into this. If anyone wants to drop me an email and discuss it there please do so. Thankyou.

ilj786@hotmail.com

2. How much is the avegare pay for a GTP student please? Does it vary according to what school you work at or is there a set pay? How much does this go up by when you have finished your training. Not sure if this helps but i work in Bedfordshire.
    The reason why i ask is that my head wants to pay me £18.000 per year. I have been told that she is taking advantage and should pay me much more. In saying this, i have no idea how it works. Ive been at the school for three years whilst doing my BA Education studies so its not as if im new to the school.
    Can you please give me an insight into this. If anyone wants to drop me an email and discuss it there please do so. Thankyou.

ilj786@hotmail.com

3. £18,000 is way above what your head HAS to pay you on a GTP course. The salary grant is around £15000 and the only requirement on GTP is to bring it up to the equivilant to the minimum pay for an unqualified teacher which outside London is roughly £15110. This is what I have been told I will be paid at the school I volunteer at presently ,if I get onto the course.

HOWEVER if you are in London then, the pay scales are different. You can see them here

http://www.tda.gov.uk/Recruit/lifeasateacher/payandbenefits/unqualifiedteachers.aspx

The fact that you have been at the school for so long I think should count for something as Im sure your experience is worth alot to them. However, it also depends on whether the school will get help with a salary grant for you, not all GTP courses have them, this wouId mean a bit chunk out of their budget. Personally have only been at the school Im in for 9 months, so I didnt expect more than the minimum, and having a grant available also means they only have to pay a minimal amount towards my salary. Im not the least bothered, I am so pleased I have such an excellent school supporting me, AND within minutes of my home, before I even apply!

4. I'm assuming that you are not taking on full timetable and full class responsibility straight away so I'm not surprised that they are seeking to pay you the minimum GTP wage of U1 + frings allowance. The school is investing a lot of their time, energy and money in you (they don't get a grant for your full salary and NI etc). I don't think they're taking advantage as long as they aren't expecting you to teach a full timetable right from the start.

5. jensmile

jensmile New commenter

you are a TRAINEE teacher so you should no way be on a full timetable, regardless of pay. GTPers need extra time to plan, observe other teachers, complete assignment and QTS standards. I am on a ten hr timetable, and believe me there are not enough hours in the day, even at that level! It sounds to me like they want to use you as a normal teacher and thats not allowed, you need to be an extra member of staff not in place of anyone and they need to mentor you.

Be prepared that GTP is very competitve, and it is not as simple as walking out of one school and finding another!

6. Thankyou everyone for your advice. I had a gut feeling that there was something wrong. I shall be talking it out with the head and have it all in writing well before i start my training next year.

Thankyou xx

7. I too have been at my school for several years and I do have full class responsibility and I am on the minimun unqualified rate.

It isn't much money in terms of all the hours and work I am putting in, in addition to extra duties I have voluntarily undertaken (clubs extra responsibilities etc) but I am very grateful. The school has to support me well - the mentor has to give up a lot of her valuable time, the headteacher is also supporting me personally in many ways as are other members of staff. The school has to cover all your time out of class for the core taught programme and ppa/observations etc and work hard to provide many extra opportunities for you.

No-one wants to be taken for granted BUT this is a training year, we are not qualified teachers YET and shouldn't be paid as such. I think we need to focus on the fact that we are fortunate to gain all this on the job experience that people in other routes miss out on. It is only one year and then with a bit of luck we will be getting the pay we think we deserve!

8. My placement school is offering me £14000 for a GTP placement in outer London. I was expecting at least the lowest point on the unqualified teacher pay scale which is £17,953 for this area? Are they allowed to give me the basic salary grant without topping it up? I personally don’t think they are allowed to do this but would really appreciate a second opinion.

9. Alit2009 No, no they are not! You MUST be paid minimum unqualified point 1 for your area. The provider does only supply a certain amount....about 14K I think, and the school has the stump up the rest. This is one of the reasons why the course is competitive and schools can be hard to come by - it costs them money to train you. It sounds like your school is trying to get out of their financial commitment to you.

Thread starter - if they want to pay you 18K for a full timetable, I'd take the money! People on my course are doing full timetable for 15K. In theory of course that shouldn't happen...it really depends on the school you are in as to whether they treat you right. To some schools, the GTP student is just a cheap teacher.

10. Thank you TAtoscience! It is very reassuring to know that I haven’t completely misunderstood the GTP system. I think the school are just looking for a cheap way (in this case free!) to ease the workload of a busy department.