1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GTP and golden hello question

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by MaureenPortant, Feb 28, 2008.

1. A friend of mine has worked unqualified at the same school for a year and a half. He then went on the GTP and qualified last summer. We were talking about the golden hello at the end of the NQT year today, and he hadn't heard of it. Is it just for PGCE students? Or is it at the discretion of the school? Any answers gratefully received, thanks.

2. Scrap the question, I have just found out that he cannot claim it on an employment based route.

3. This is really not right as GTP students are working towards the same status as PGCE students. Why don't GTP students benefit from the Golden Hellos too???

4. The salary for GTP is equivalent to the PGCE bursary + the golden hello so all in all it works out the same.

5. But only if you're studying a secondary shortage subject. It is my understanding that you don't get the golden hello for non-shortage subjects or primary. Also, bear in mind that the primary PGCE bursary reduces to £4000 from this Sept, which makes the GTP which more financially beneficial for primary students.

6. But at the end of the day you do a lot more work on a GTP, and that is what you are paid for. I taught 16 hours a week from day one on GTP........and the wage we get is nowhere near enough to cover all the work you do!!! I think a golden hello is just as deserved if not more.

7. mmm...Milk

mmm...Milk New commenter

1. the golden hello has gone http://www.tda.gov.uk/training-provider/itt/funding-allocations/golden-hello.aspx
    2. The new Golden Hello is the fact that you managed to get a full time, permenant job. These are like gold dust.
    3. THERE ARE NO SHORTAGE SUBJECTS. The only shortage is jobs.
    Sorry to be all doom and gloom, but you do need to check out the umemployed and job seekers forum if you haven't already.
    Good luck with your GTP, it is hard work, but so is teaching.

8. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

The history of the bursary / golden hello was that the last government decided all students should pay fees.
    Then it realised that that meant PGCE students had to pay fees and it was worried the supply of qualified teachers would dry up.
    So it introduced the bursaries and golden hellos to actually get people to sign up and pay for PGCE courses.
    GTP trainees are actually paid to be trained. PGCE students pay to train. There is a difference.