1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GTP and getting a Mortgage

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by TristUK, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Hi folks,

I?m looking for a little advice. I'm in the process of buying a house. Have had a mortgage agreed in principle by the bank and have had an offer accepted on a house. I'm currently on my GTP training year (on course to pass with a 'good' rating) so am on a trainee teacher contract being paid a salary.

The mortgage was agreed in principle but I?m not a little nervous that they will be reluctant to offer me a mortgage at the main meeting now. We have a decent deposit of 20% - 25% and my partner earns the a lot more than me so I?m hoping that they will not be concerned that I don?t have a teaching job agreed for next year as I'm not the main earner and we can pay a lump sum towards the house upfront.

I have an interview next week so I?m hoping that I may be offered a position at a local school, would a bank accept an offer of a position as evidence to support a mortgage or do they require pay slips?

Do you think that banks will turn their noses up at being a trainee teacher?

Thanks for your advice.

TristUK

2. Every bank is different, but yes, a confirmed job offer with salary details is normally enough.
    Similarly, some banks will have an issue with what is effectively a fixed term contract (ie your current contract) rather than a permanent job - if you don't have an offer by the time you meet the bank then be prepared to defend your situation. BUT, don't offer the fact that it's a fixed term contract unless you are asked. Good luck!

3. Thanks for the advice.

I had my interview earlier this week and was offered a teaching position for next September! The head teacher said she would send me a confirmation in the post so hopefully that will be enough to convince the bank when I meet with them next week.

So happy to have a job lined up for next year!!!