1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GTP and bursary

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by Joanne2009, Aug 3, 2011.

1. HI,
    I am thinking of applying for a GTP at a local school. Would I still get a bursary on top of the GTP salary? I doubt it but worth a try asking.
    I am a mature student with a mortgage and 2 children :)

2. HI,
    I am thinking of applying for a GTP at a local school. Would I still get a bursary on top of the GTP salary? I doubt it but worth a try asking.
    I am a mature student with a mortgage and 2 children :)

3. Hi
    On a GTP, you would be employed as an unqualified teacher earning a minimum salary of £15,817 per annum and would not be eligible for the PGCE bursary.
    As you will be working and have children to support, check your eligibility for other benefits (www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/index.htm).
    Bear in mind that, as a newly qualified teacher in England and Wales, you can expect to start on a salary of £27,000 in inner London and £21,588 outside London. Salaries are reviewed annually in April and will normally rise one point on the main pay scale every September. If your work has been excellent or if you have taken on more responsibilities in school, your pay may rise even quicker. Classroom teachers on the main pay scale can earn up to £36,387 per annum in inner London and £31,552 per annum outside London.
    The more classroom experience you can gain, the stronger your application will be.
    Wishing you a successful teaching career.
    Stephen Hillier, TDA