1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GTP after failed NQT??

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by brownlincs, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Hi there,
    I really, really want to do a GTP and go back into teaching, but I'm not sure if I can.
    I did my PGCE in MFL in 2005 and received my QTS. Unfortunately, I didn't choose my NQT school wisely and failed due to lack of support and information. It was such a hell of a year, I was so psychologically and physically tired that, once the school year was finished I packed my things and moved back to France.
    Ironically, I haven't stopped teaching since. I taught English and French as a Foreign Language for a private company in France, and now I'm back in the UK (I'm married to an English man) I work as a French and ESL tutor for a language training company. I am aslo a supply TA in the MFL department of a nice school. And I've realised that I still want to teach in a school. I've been observing the teachers and I know that I could be good too, if only I was given a second chance.
    I have been asking around, and although the people I've asked were all positive, they couldn't give me a definitive answer: Is it possible for me to go through the GTP route? Do I stand a chance?
    Does anyone know?
    Thanks!

2. I think you can only get the funding for a GTP if you havent done ITT before. Could you self fund it? Or consider doing it at a private school?

I hope you find a way x

3. cupofteacher

cupofteacher New commenter

Quote from the TDA website:

An NQT has one chance only to complete induction. An NQT who has failed to meet the core standards in completing the induction period is not permitted to repeat induction. While an NQT does not lose his or her QTS, he or she cannot be employed lawfully as a teacher in a relevant school. See paragraph 1.23 of the Statutory guidance on induction for NQTs in England (PDF, 317KB) (ref: DCSF-00364-2008).

So I don't think so, no. Because you still have QTS but the outcome of GTP would be the same-you still would not be able to do your NQT year.

Possibly you could work in an independent school teaching, but I'm not sure.

4. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

There is no reason to do GTP as you have QTS-however if you failed induction you cannot teachin the maintained sector in England and Wales. You could still work in the independent sector, academies or free schools.