1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GTP advice

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by FranPullen1991, May 30, 2012.

1. Hello, I am a 21 year old female, currently studying for my degree in Modern History and Sociology. I am working towards eventual teaching status.

At the moment I have experience within these subjects at a high school where I went in one day a week for an academic year and am now working on securing another placement to last me through the next academic year, and the final year of my degree. As well as this I currently have a positon with Aspire People, as a Cover Supervisor and I go to a range of schools in my area to cover a range of subejcts.

I was wondering whether this sort of experience will be enough for me and whether my age will go against me in this matter?
    I was told that as I have paid experience this will benefit me more.

Is there anything more I can do to give myself the advantage as this is the only thing I have ever wanted to do with my life and I would be gutted if I didn't achieve it...
    Thanks in advance for any advice.
    Fran

2. Hello, I am a 21 year old female, currently studying for my degree in Modern History and Sociology. I am working towards eventual teaching status.

At the moment I have experience within these subjects at a high school where I went in one day a week for an academic year and am now working on securing another placement to last me through the next academic year, and the final year of my degree. As well as this I currently have a positon with Aspire People, as a Cover Supervisor and I go to a range of schools in my area to cover a range of subejcts.

I was wondering whether this sort of experience will be enough for me and whether my age will go against me in this matter?
    I was told that as I have paid experience this will benefit me more.

Is there anything more I can do to give myself the advantage as this is the only thing I have ever wanted to do with my life and I would be gutted if I didn't achieve it...
    Thanks in advance for any advice.
    Fran

3. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

The allocation of GTP places will change next year with schools having the allocation directly so they can contract with GTP providers formthe training. A lot will then depend upon the local job situation in your area whether there is a glut of History teachers or if there is a shortfall. Nationally E Bacc subjects such as History are now receiving more attention but the impact of previous course closures and ITT reductions are still being felt so in some places departments in ITT have closed or substantiallly reduced their capacity. It will also depend on whether there are teaching schools i your area as they are expectedto take the lead in teacher training in future