1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GTP advice please:)

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by amylouise2011, Sep 14, 2011.

1. I have recently applied for the Graduate Teaching Programme (Primary) at a provider in the West Midlands area. I am aware that I need to find a supporting school as soon as possible. I wondered if anyone out there had any advice, tips or hints on what to include in the letter I am going to send out requesting support? Many thanks in advance. :)

2. The first thing I would say is be prepred to send a lot of letters and potentially have a lot of negative responses. I sent out at least 100 emails and letters in total. I sent emails to local heads, having got details from the county website. If you do this, make sure that you put your covering letter in the body of the email, it means that they read it as soon as they open the message - if you put it as an attachment they don't always read it before deleting the email! Also, check school websites - quite often they give you a good idea about what the school is about and whether they have had trainees before.
    Just sell your good qualities. I focused on my school experience, my personal attributes and any extra curricular or extended schools provisions I could help with - schools need to feel like you are valuable enough to invest the time in training you and if you are starting from a good place that is all the better. Whatever you do, if you have written to or emailed a school and haven't had a response don't be scared to call them. I found that some heads hadn't even seen my letter, and when I spoke to them and explained the programme and a bit more about myself they were often more enthusiastic. I phoned the head of my placement school to ask if he had received my email and by the end of the conversation I had an interview.
    Best of luck with your search, it is definitely worth the effort - my school is lovely and I can't wait to be qualified.

LJ

3. I started my GTP year this year, it's great that you're starting to send out letters now i didn't send my speculative letters until November!
    My advice is to get a list of all the schools who are in partnership with your provider at the moment and send out a letter and where applicable a C.V. out to all of them! Explain who you are, what you are looking for, that you understand they are currently in partnership with your training provider, your previous experience related to teaching/schools, what you have to offer the school (this is key!) and talk about why you are attracted to the particular school - take out bits from their Ofsted report and say how impressed you are - those sorts of things!
    Try to keep your covering letter to one page and keep it concise - don't ramble on!
    The training provider should have guidance for you to let you know if a letter is enough or a C.V. should be sent as well.
    I had a different situation to you in that i needed to find a school before i could apply to my local training provider but they were very helpful. Give yours a call.
    Good luck!

4. Got three potential schools out of twenty applications :D thanks for the advice guys! xx