1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GTP advice for 2012 - no experience!

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by emmaw5782, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Hi there
    I need some advice.
    Despite doing a Business Studies degree and ending up having a very successful career in Marketing, my heart is not in it and I really, really, really want to re-train to be a Primary school teacher. Now that I've had my family (no2 on the way), it seems like the ideal time in my life to embark on this career change.
    The way that I understood it was that the GTP scheme was designed for people in my position - but I have been absolutely quaking in my boots reading some of the posts on here saying how competitive the GTP is and that years of TA experience isn't enough!
    I am currently in the process of asking some local schools for a voluntary placement, starting in September this year so that I can apply for the 2012 GTP. This would mean that I have about 14 days of classroom experience at the time of applying. I did also complete a 2-week placement but this was years ago now and so I think too long ago to count.
    With a husband on a modest wage, a mortgage and two young children, losing my wage would be bad enough but we simply cannot afford to pay for tuition fees too. Do I have any other options?
    Also, how many GTP providers can I apply to? I live in North Essex and have found 4 that are within 1.5hours travelling time.
    Any help and advice you can give me would be so appreciated.
    Thanks
    Emma

2. Hi there
    I need some advice.
    Despite doing a Business Studies degree and ending up having a very successful career in Marketing, my heart is not in it and I really, really, really want to re-train to be a Primary school teacher. Now that I've had my family (no2 on the way), it seems like the ideal time in my life to embark on this career change.
    The way that I understood it was that the GTP scheme was designed for people in my position - but I have been absolutely quaking in my boots reading some of the posts on here saying how competitive the GTP is and that years of TA experience isn't enough!
    I am currently in the process of asking some local schools for a voluntary placement, starting in September this year so that I can apply for the 2012 GTP. This would mean that I have about 14 days of classroom experience at the time of applying. I did also complete a 2-week placement but this was years ago now and so I think too long ago to count.
    With a husband on a modest wage, a mortgage and two young children, losing my wage would be bad enough but we simply cannot afford to pay for tuition fees too. Do I have any other options?
    Also, how many GTP providers can I apply to? I live in North Essex and have found 4 that are within 1.5hours travelling time.
    Any help and advice you can give me would be so appreciated.
    Thanks
    Emma

3. Hi Emma,

I am starting the GTP in Sept. I did my degree in Literature through the Open University at home as, like you, I already have children. There were 3 providers in my area, I only got an interview with one of them and luckily I was taken so it could easily have gone the other way for me. As for experience I have two boys of my own and have volunteered in both FE (teaching literacy 2 afternoons a week for 6 months to 16 year olds) and primary. Upon applying for the Primary GTP I am about to embark on I was only about 2 months into volunteering one afternoon a week as that was all I could spare. I'm not sure if it was the fact I was self motivated (OU degree) or my voluntary experience but I got on the course. As long as I had done 14 days in total in school before the course commenced I was fine, which I have more than done since then. I think my passion and enthusiasm for teaching also came through during the interview process and I was honest about my lack of experience and told them I wanted a clean slate and to learn from the GTP experience itself. I was worried that I would be up against experienced TA's and would stand no chance but when discussing this with a Uni rep on an open day they said that TA's don't always make good trainee teachers for what ever reason so don't be put off by the fact you're not a TA. I think you should mention your 2 week placement, even if it does seem long ago. Don't forget that the Uni is looking for retention on the course also, you're not likely to drop out when you have the focus you have and a mortgage to pay. If I were you I would apply to every GTP provider in your area, get some experience in a school and then when the time comes to apply ask if they will provide you with a reference based on your time volunteering with them, who knows, they may even decide to take you as their GTP in 2012!!

Apply. You'll lose nothing by doing so. I honestly didn't think I would get on to the course the first year I applied and here I am so if I can do it I'm sure you can too.

Best of luck.

Ham xx

4. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

You need to be clear about the application process. many providers require you to have a school employment offer of a GTP before they will consider you. In addition there are established partnership arrangements between the schools and a ITT provider, for GTP they are EBITTs employment based Initial Teacher Training. The number of places allocated by the Govt. to each provider is regulated and for next year there are many question marks about whether the total number of GTP places will increase.Whether preference will be given to secondary places. A lot will depend upon whether there is a local teaching school as it is likely they would receive preferential support as Mr Gove' s little baby.
    In my experience the successful GTP candidates do come from a background of working in the schools first -they get known and can persuade from the inside that they would make a good candidate. You should also consider PGCE options as the tuition fees are not repaid until you start work- the sheer number of places available compared with GTP is a major factor. Additionally GTP places may not be confirmed until after the PGCE application process has closed-this is usually December.

5. Hi there,

I am also from Essex so if you want any specific advice do send me a private message. I know of a few schools in the area who have taken GTP's, I am starting in Sept 2011 (primary) so I may be able to help you out. I found the whole process very unclear - different schools and providers seem to have completely different processes for applying and it can get very frustrating so I would be happy to help!

6. Hello!
    I'm in a very similar situation to you. I've just quit my marketing job after having our first baby. I just didn't enjoy my job although I'd trained in marketing and just really want to teach. I have no huge amount of experience either other than being teacher assistant one evening a week for 4 months to adult students and teaching street dance to teenagers, both not directly related to teaching MFL at secondary level.
    I researched schools in my area and also visited the school my husband attended some years ago now. Initially I was going for PGCE but after lesson observation at the school and a chat with the training manager, I decided to give GTP a go (what was I going to loose?), got an interview, was honest about my minimal experience but said I had lots of transferable skills: putting yourself in our customer's shoes (relevant in marketing but also in teaching I believe), presentation skills and done a lot of training in my marketing role. They liked me and I'm starting in Sept 2011.
    In a nutshell, don't be put off, go for it, you never know! Apply to as many providers as you can but I would recommend finding a school first, it's just easier and the schools like GTP students to be proactive and show interest. Good luck with it, I'm sure you'll do great!

7. Hi Emma, I don't have much to add to the wealth of good advice you've already received, but I'd suggest giving it a go and not being intimidated by the scary accounts you read on TES. I applied last minute at the end of April to a second round of applications while in a non-teaching related job (my first and only application to any provider), and was successful without having found a school to support me. I then found a school to train in quite quickly, and will be starting the GTP in September. Obviously this might not be a typical situation, but it goes to show that the GTP can be for all sorts of people with all sorts of backgrounds and experiences, and not jusdt TAs with years of experience, so don't be put off! If you can demonstrate how your previous experience is relevant in some way, that you're enthusiastic, and that you have a number of qualities to offer then you stand a decent chance.

8. Hi there,
    I am carrying out my third year of my degree this Sept and hope to get onto a GTP course for Sept 2012. I have experience in years R, 1, 2, 5 and 6. Can you give me any hints on how to go about when and where to apply. I am also living in Essex. Please forward any information regarding this to hayley.spinks@sky.com.

Thank you.
    Hayley