1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GTP Advic

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by todd89, Aug 8, 2011.

1. todd89

todd89 New commenter

I am going to apply for the GTP/PGCE this september for next year in Physical Education. I would like to know if anyone would kindly share their personal statement and/or letter sent to the school. This will be greatly appreciated!

Regards, Todd

2. todd89

todd89 New commenter

I am going to apply for the GTP/PGCE this september for next year in Physical Education. I would like to know if anyone would kindly share their personal statement and/or letter sent to the school. This will be greatly appreciated!

Regards, Todd

3. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Personal statements are by their very definition personal. It is very easy to copy bad grammar and poor expression so you would not be doing yourself a favour using someone else's even as a guide. In addition where 2 statements appear the same then both could be binned. Visit prospects.ac.uk has a useful guide on applying for a pgce course and general guidance on writing letters of application and personal statements. Do find your own voice -it really is more effective.

4. If you don't know how to write your own PERSONAL statement you should not be applying to be a teacher.

5. Guys I think this is greatly unfair!! A previously successful applicants personal statement is a useful tool in deciding what types of things are appropriate to include and the structure of the statement. I am sure the OP is not unwise enough to just blindly copy the statement!
    Todd, I am afraid I can't help much because I recently lost my USB pen which had my statement on it, but if you google PGCE personal statements then some will come up to give you an idea. If you are applying to both GTP and PGCE I would use two slightly different statements, stating in each why you think you would be suitable for that particular route.
    Good luck!

6. I think they tell you what you need to include in your statement. Why do you want to become a teacher? Why that age group? Why that subject? Talk about your experience in schools and out of schools that you think will make you a good teacher and what you have learnt from these experiences. Therefore how can reading about someone elses own experiences and opinions help you write your own statement? The problem with looking at other peoples statement is that sometimes you do unintentionally end up copying bits of them. I'm sure admissions tutors can tell this as well.

7. todd89

todd89 New commenter

Thanks for the comments everyone. I completely understand the point made about the tendency of copying one's statement. Is the personal statement a focus on general teaching or can I tailor it with my subject that I want to teach. In other words, can I always refer to elements of PE such as understanding the whole school approach in PE that ties in with one of the QTS standards.

I am going to structure my PS with reference to the three heading of the QTS standards - Attributes, Knowledge and Skills. So, with these in mind, I will blend in why I want to teach, my philosophy of PE and why I will make a good teacher. Not sure whether this structure will work but I will give it a go.

Is there facility on here for someone to read my personal statement when I have completed the first draft?

8. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

If you want to contact me via my inbox message I can look over the statement for you