1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GTP accepted abroad?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by hbw102, Jan 10, 2011.

1. Hello everyone,
    I'm currently on M4 and moved schools last September to further my career by becoming an Assistant Head of Geography and teach A-level. I am considering adventuring abroad as my next career step; probably to somewhere like Dubai where I find the weather and financial incentives very attractive. Is it true that you will only be employed abroad if you took the PGCE route into teaching? I took the GTP route but I am currently studying for a Masters; should I gain my masters before applying?
    Thanks for your help with this.

2. bbibbler

bbibbler New commenter

Most countyies will only accept "Proper" teachers. GTP and the rest of the Micky Mouse qualifictions are only accepted in parts of the UK.

You may be lucky, but it will probably be in a Micky Mouse school.

3. Hi-
    I've been teaching in the Middle East for the past 2 years and I did GTP. Had plenty of International job offers from good schools, so do not be put off applying. Just ensure that you thoroughly research the schools you apply to! PM me if you have any more questions

Good luck! [​IMG]

4. It really does depend where you want to go.
    Some overseas jobs require you to complete an online application, and quite ofetn the first questio will be something on the lines of do you have a B.Ed or First degree with PGCE. If you answer NO, you will not be able to proceed with the application.
    On the other hand, there are many overseas schools who offer employment to people with degrees and no teaching qualification at all, or with just TEFL, others who seem willing to give teaching jobs to bar staff who happen to be native speakers and some who will have anybody who applies as they are so desperate. You need to decide what sort of school you are prepared to work at.
    On the subject of Mickey Mouse, there is a PGCEi out there.

5. Thanks mRs!

6. GTP Mickey Mouse?! At least I can spell Mickey Mouse. Nice to have such support from colleagues [​IMG]

7. Thank-you penny and Mrs.S for your constructive comments [​IMG]

8. Don´t be too sensitive, these threads can be a bit spiky!!
    I´m sure that there are schools out there who will be looking for teachers who will consider you a very good candidate.

9. In NZ, GTP isn't accepted, nor is B Ed I don't think. I did a PGCE and that was the only acceptable qualification accepted by NZQA, the Qualifications Assessment people.