1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

GTP 2012 - will it happen?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Hercule, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Does anyone know if the GTP will be running in 2012? The training situation for teachers seems to be up in the air at the moment and I'm worried if I don't get onto the scheme this year next year will be a shambles because of a change in the system, with reductions in funding etc.
    Thanks.

2. It's all up in the air as to how much funding is available. Funding for next September hasn't even been announced yet (expected 31st March). GTP will almost certainly be still running though since the education white paper makes it clear that EBITT will continue, not just as a TeachFirst initiative.

3. Thanks for the reply Robby. I'm glad to hear GTP is likely to still be running - I had a feeling it would as it seems to be the Tory preference. I imagine it will be even more competitive though given the removal of bursaries and likely increase in fees for the PGCE.

4. Ive been applying this year and found it really difficult to even get an interview. I have over 8 years of experience and am worried it is going to be even harder next year. Does anyone know if the criteria for applying is changing?

5. Same scenario for me Julie, in the end i was lucky enough to find a school who have endorsed meand finally i am getting somewhere in terms of interviews.
    My brother is a teacher and he said anyone who has got in on a GTP this year has done very well as its near impossible, i know a few people who have been given a place only for it to be withdrawn

6. Congratulations to you! Where have you had or got interviews for? I feel so fed up with it all. I just don't know what to do next.....

7. You don't say where you are Julie, but WLP are taking waiting list applications until next week as they have more funding than they expected!

8. Also I had heard that the GCSE requirements for maths (don't know about science and English) will go up to a B instead of C, next year, but don't quote me on it!