1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GTP 2011 (hopefully)

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by rockwhatever, May 19, 2011.

1. I am two weeks away from completing my BA Eng Lang/lit. I am desperate to begin my GTP in Sept/Jan.I have already applied to my local LA (Stoke on Trent) and I was not succesful. I am applying to the Robert Owen Group but unfortunately my school will not pay my training salary but they have said that they will provide me with a mentor.
    Does anyone have any ideas? 2012 is too long to wait!

2. Hi there, the GTP is really meant for people who have been working for some years after their undergrad degree and usually requires some experience of working/volunteeting withing a school.
    Have a look at the TDA website for and ITT rout that might be more suitable, or one that you could appy to alongside the GTP to keep options open.
    Thanks

3. I am starting a GTP in September, I am straight out of uni but I volunteered in schools. You don't have to be working in schools for years to be accepted on the course. Best of luck to you, hope it goes well. :)

4. Ash, I voiced a similar opinion a while ago and was, for want of a better phrase, "told off". Looking at how the GTP started, I think there's no denying that it was aimed at "older" people with experience outside of teaching for whom returning to uni to study a PGCE was a prohibitive step to getting into teaching, thus denying the profession of some excellent teachers.
    I still believe that this is what the TDA want of the GTP, but it seems that as there is no strict edict from them on that issue, providers are able to pick whomever they deem to be the best candidates - even if that means that they are 20/21 and still completing their degree at the time of applying.
    Whenever I hear of uni students applying for a GTP and PGCE, hoping that they get the GTP just because of the salary I say a silent prayer that the people interviewing them will find this out and thus direct them towards the PGCE.
    Yes, they both end in (a recommendation for) QTS, but (in my opinion, as a current GTP trainee) they are very very different approaches, and suit different people from different backgrounds.
    PGCE is "the norm", and you should only consider the GTP if the style/approach of the course suits you.
    I hope this doesn't offend anyone, that's not my intention. And remember, these are just my opinions - you don't have to agree with them!