1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Gthat footballer

Discussion in 'Personal' started by inky, Mar 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. inky

inky Lead commenter

I really don't want to open a can of worms but, however reprehensible his behaviour was, can he truly be called a paedophile? After all, in France, the age of consent is 15.

Sorry - don't seem to be able to edit the title, which should be THAT, needless to say.

2. aspensquiver_2

aspensquiver_2 Senior commenter

15?????? Good god.
    But we are not in France and he is a perv.

FrankWolley likes this.
  3. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

I agree. A paedophile is attracted to children, not post-pubescent young women. He knowingly broke the laws regarding age of consent and grooming and should be punished for that, but that doesn't make him a paedophile.

lardylady likes this.
  4. Billie73

Billie73 Occasional commenter

I think technically he's a hebephile. I saw it on criminal minds.

5. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

Paedophile is the wrong term. But his actions were still criminal.

6. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

She was a child in a vulnerable situation and he sexually abused her. You're opening a can of worms.

HelenREMfan and aspensquiver_2 like this.
  7. inky

inky Lead commenter

Then Good. Maybe it ought to be opened.

8. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

She was apparently obsessed with him. He was her favourite footballer. The role of the football club is now in question, in terms of what they knew , yet still permitted him to play for a number of weeks.

rachelpaula008 likes this.
  9. cuteinpuce

So that his reputation can be restored? That seems a strange priority in the circumstances.

10. inky

inky Lead commenter

What age differenoe should warrant criminal proceedings when the younger person is fifteen?

I lost my virginity to an 18-yr-old when I was fifteen. That was back in 1969. Oh, the fuss.

11. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

And he was an adult and she wasn't

The club states that as far as they knew he was going to contest the claims and plead innocent.
    When he didn't they acted immediately

12. cuteinpuce

She was 15, he was 28. She was below the age of consent and he knew that. That's what warrants criminal proceedings.

rachelpaula008 and HelenREMfan like this.
  13. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

I think there are so called 'romeo and juliet' considerations that are taken into account in cases of statutory rape where the ages are relatively close. I'd look it up but I'm a bit drunk. Sorry.

sabrinakat and aspensquiver_2 like this.
  14. inky

inky Lead commenter

No. You are mistaken. She was fifteen.

15. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

ephebophile

16. Didactylos4

Sex Offender will do

rachelpaula008 and cuteinpuce like this.
  17. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

But according to the police, the club did know. And they continued to pay him £60,000 per week for some weeks.

Yes, he is an adult, an arrogant adult by his own admission and yes, she is under the age of consent. Therefore he is a sex offender.

18. Didactylos4

They knew of the charges but the latest quote from the detective involved most has just been shown on local BBC news (Look North)and she says that not all details were divulged to the club at that time.
    Shall I try to look up the link?

19. Didactylos4

20. Billie73

Billie73 Occasional commenter

Oh right. Sorry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.