1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GTCS response to McCormac

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by CanuckGrrl, Sep 14, 2011.

1. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

I think they are just paying lip-service to McCormac, after all CT was their baby wasn't it? As to visitors teaching, parents will never allow that and surely as teachers we can fight it too?

2. I am slightly encouraged by that. I hope they do something more than issue a lukewarm statement, though...

3. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Here is the SG response to the report.

The McCormac report on teacher pay and conditions has been given a broad welcome by Education Secretary Michael Russell. Mr Russell has set out his intention to discuss the recommendations of the report with the leaders of the teaching unions and COSLA, with a view to securing agreement on the way forward. Mr Russell said: "Firstly, I wish to thank Professor McCormac and the review team for their hard work and dedication to this review. These recommendations need to be given full and careful consideration as I believe they can make an important contribution to the work to develop our teaching workforce. "Some of this work will be through the Scottish Negotiating Committee for Teachers and some will be done separately and will build on partnerships already in play. I will set out arrangements for this in the next month. <font size="3">"Of course, this can not move forward without discussion and consultation with teaching unions, COSLA and other key players. That is why I have invited their leaders to meet me at an early date to ensure we keep the momentum going and discuss how we can work together to make sure we put in place the best outcomes for the teaching workforce."

</font>

4. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

How many teacher (or any) elected members of the GTCS were involved in framing this statement?
    One. That's David Drever, the Convener. If I remember right, of those who were elected, he came last in the secondary candidates in the last GTCS election. So this statement was framed mainly by the Chief Executive Tony Finn (also ex EIS) and David Drever with possible input from other paid officials.
    I would have been more reassured if there had been a debate about McCormac at a meeting of the GTCS Council and a full response from the GTCS which gave the McCormac review the kicking it deserves.
    Time will tell if that actually happens. I won't be holding my breath. If the EIS does a deal on the SNCT which accepts some of the McCormac proposals (and some of the COSLA wish list which are not in the report) then the EIS hacks on the Council will keep their mouths firmly shut, as I am told they usually do anyway.