1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GTCE abolished

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by flower16, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Hi as a teacher i have been paying gtce fees which has been abolished as of now, i have been claiming tax relief and on a different tax code, just wanted to ask what do i do now? will i need to inform hmrc?

2. Hi as a teacher i have been paying gtce fees which has been abolished as of now, i have been claiming tax relief and on a different tax code, just wanted to ask what do i do now? will i need to inform hmrc?

3. asnac

asnac Established commenter

I wouldn't have thought a tax code was impacted on by GTC fees which only ever amounted to about £35 a year meaning about £9 a year in tax relief. So I'd have thought there was no need to do anything. When it comes to submitting your tax return, you can claim it as an expense for 2011-12 but not for future years obviously.

4. ....The GTC (Good Time Clowns) were as total snd utter waste of taxpayers money. Nothing redeeming about them whatsoever and as for paying the fees, well on principle I havent for the last 2 years!!
    ...Glad this quango has disappeared. IMO did nothing for teachers and were a joke from the start

5. I suppose the GTC was meant to be like the GMC is for doctors. As anyone can now teach and PGCE an BEd are meaningless qualifications then the GTC is a meaningless organisation.

6. I got my letter today and am quite happy as they will no longer be taking money from my bank account. Don't know what they did as I didn't miss them before they existed. All it means to me is a leech no more. Yay!

7. historygrump

historygrump Senior commenter Forum guide

I feel that we could end up missing the GTC, I agree that they were useless and that was due to the fact that it was run by civil servants with no idea of teaching or education, including all the issues relating to teaching. It should have been reformed along the lines of the BMA, in which it would be run by teachers, who appreciated the professional nature and the problems that teachers encounter everyday.
    However, it as gone and I fear for the future, in that I can see many dangers for the teaching profession with the powers of the GTC effectively transferred to the S of S for Education. I can see the number of teachers banned from teaching rise, as Mr Gove or any of his successors which to make a political point and appear to be tough to gain votes off the people or to gain support within the party by banning teachers on a whim. Remember the S of S is a politician, he is not a teacher and does not understand the problems and issues faced by teachers. To be honest how many of you would trust Michael Gove to decide if you could or could not teach or Nick Gibb or any politician come to that? I would not.
    That is the danger of the GTC being scrapped and I am far from being a fan of the GTC, in fact I was critical of the GTC in defending the teaching profession from the politicians, and it needed in my opinion, reforming, not scrapping.

8. Good point Historygrump. I hadn't thought of it in that way.

9. SO, the GTCE has been abolished. What is it changing it's name to? Abolished? Not a chance!

10. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Apparently 'Teaching Agency' . Novel name then!

11. As long as I don't have to pay nearly £40 a year for it they can call themselves the blue baboon league. The bonfire of the Quangos was mainly a govt stunt as most have risen again in one form or another, often in a more expensive form. However anything that abolished the need to pay to get two really bad magazines a year and a number is ok with me...... What happens to your number now?

12. Forgetting the ins and outs of the politics for a minute, it does appear to me that the government are not getting their finances in order. A look at the magnitude of the figures and the "off balance sheet" liabilities will mean that if they don't get to grips with it, the interest payments will either see the cuts happen, or the country will go bust. However, I'm sure joining the Euro2 when it is finally required will be on the gameplan. I imagine the spods in the Not GTCE would love to have a spot in the GTCEU. Bonfire of quangos? What a laugh!

13. stan-dards

stan-dards New commenter

R.O.T.A.R
    ripping off teachers again revisited

14. The Teaching Agency replaced the GTC on 1 April. It's a new executive agency of the Department for Education.

The agency is responsible for supply and, with others, retention of the workforce; the quality of the workforce; and
    regulation of teacher conduct.

That nice Mr G has brought us all under his wing!

15. Not £35 pa but £36.50 pa for the last two years!
    The replacement body is the Teaching Agency which may have other ideas????