1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice


Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by bristolmover, Feb 13, 2012.

  1. bristolmover

    bristolmover New commenter

    I am being hassled by my agency to register with the GTC. GTC says registration is £36.50 each year but it ceases to exist on 31st March. Should I pay for 6 weeks of registration?
  2. And is the agency likely to find you much, if any, work in that six weeks? Personally I'd just let it hang until the GTC is 'disbanded.'
  3. historygrump

    historygrump Lead commenter Forum guide

    A difficult question as we all know the the GTCE is being disbanded and replaced by a Dept of Education unit, it will be in chaos within 6 months take my word for it and if Labour had not reminded them with an amendment to the Education Bill, the GTCE register of qualified teachers would have ceased to exist. But to get back to your question, I would speak the the GTCE and ask them what is going on, because I have read somewhere that the annual registration fee for supply teachers or teachers not in a permanent post will cease to exist from April 2012.
  4. Have just checked the GTCE website AND phoned them. Instructions were quite clear.
    They will not be seeking a payment as of 1st of April 2012
    Problem, the agencies do not seem to know this in a clear way.
    So it would be a good idea to contact our agencies and make it clear to them what the score is!
  5. GTCE going, one can only hope the TDA will follow.
  6. les25paul

    les25paul Star commenter

    Even though it sounds daft I think that you are legally obliged to pay the fee.
    To work as a Teacher in a state maintained school (even for one day) you need to be registered whilst the GTC still exists. But with the small amount of supply work around at the moment its a big question as to if you will recover this cost.
    Have you got a current CRB? if you haven't then it could take 6 weeks for that to arrive meaning that GTC membership is irrelevant (which it pretty was much anyway). Maybe you could consider some other temping work until the GTC has finally gone away.
  7. bristolmover

    bristolmover New commenter

    Thanks everyone.
    I should've said. I am in a long term supply post covering maternity. Started in Jan, will finish in June, so I guess I'd better pay up. The agency told me there was no fee but the GTC says yes there is.
  8. oh, when they say next year, it is in fact this year 2012. That's an old document on that link.
  9. Has anyone, other than when registering, ever asked to see the registration card? I know nobody has asked to see mine since I left a certain supply agency who were demanding to see my 2007 - 2008 registration card in September when I wasn't going to be supplied with one until October.

  10. jubilee

    jubilee Star commenter

    If anything happened at school that brought a spotlight on you and it was discovered that you were not legally entitled to be teaching in the school because you were not GTC registered, you would be ditched quick smart by the school and the agency.
    It's a legal requirement to be registered and if you are not registered now, you cannot be transferred to whatever organisation takes over the register in April.
    You can claim tax relief ont he £36-50 you hand over in this tax year, enabling you to have £7-30 less tax deducted from your pay. You need to tell you tax office once you have paid the GTC.
  11. emmadrg

    emmadrg New commenter

    The only time I got a registration card from the GTCE was when I was on a one-year fixed term contract.
    Every other year I have just shown a bank statement to show that they have taken the money from my account as proof of membership.
  12. I don't have a current card but had to show bank statement to an agency that I recently joined to prove that i was registered.
  13. OP, the sooner the TDA go the same way as the GTCE the better for teaching.
  14. Mrs-Pip

    Mrs-Pip New commenter

    You dont need a card, any agency can get see if you are registered if you give them your dfee number! My GTC membership runs out in the summer this year, so no fees this year for me then i'm guessing! Hurray!
  15. jubilee

    jubilee Star commenter

    GTC membership doesn't run for a year from when you bought it. Membership runs from the beginning of April each year and runs out at the end of March, irrespective of when you registered during their subscription year.

Share This Page