1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GTC

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by saynotoboxticking, Nov 17, 2011.

1. saynotoboxticking

saynotoboxticking New commenter

Anyone know when the government will officially get rid of the waste of space GTC ?
    Also anyone actually know what they do for my £40 a year - I tried asking them once and they couldn't give me a straight answer. They tried to justify their own worthless existance by saying they do a lot of lobying on behalf of teachers... there was me thinking that's what I pay my union membership for...
    Oh. And the priviledge of having the GTC strike you off if you commit gross misconduct.... though not that they do anything about the 100s of teachers out there that blight students education as they are not suited to the profession... controversial I know.
    Sounds to me like they maintain an excel spreadsheet and give everyone a number for £40 a year. That's a nice little earner isn't it !
    Union memberships getting expensive now... any alternatives like independent liability insurance ?

2. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

Mine covered me for a significant amount of money with the best legal advice available. You have to have more than a 51% chance of winning. Saying that I'd still have union protection.