1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GTC

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by mattdanger2, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Hi, first time posting.
    I qualified on a PGCE with QTS in 2005, then worked as a supply teacher for two years before discovering that I had a passion for working with BESD students. I have been working for the past 4 years at a special school for children with emotional/behavioural difficulties as a learning mentor, but have been responsible for teaching the GCSE Art and Design curriculum. Due to the fact that I have been able to gain the best GCSE results in the school's history I have recently been offered the opportunity to complete my NQT induction year, starting in September. This has been excellent news for my career until today, when I was sent an email from the local authority that stated that the GTC have no record of my completion of my course and gaining QTS. I have passed all units, placements and QTS skills tests related to the course, and have a certificate from Edge Hill University which proves this. However, because the GTC claim to have no record of my completion of the course (They have me down as having "deferred my course") the local authority are unable to draft me a contract. I would appreciate any advice in how to proceed. Thanks.

2. Hi, first time posting.
    I qualified on a PGCE with QTS in 2005, then worked as a supply teacher for two years before discovering that I had a passion for working with BESD students. I have been working for the past 4 years at a special school for children with emotional/behavioural difficulties as a learning mentor, but have been responsible for teaching the GCSE Art and Design curriculum. Due to the fact that I have been able to gain the best GCSE results in the school's history I have recently been offered the opportunity to complete my NQT induction year, starting in September. This has been excellent news for my career until today, when I was sent an email from the local authority that stated that the GTC have no record of my completion of my course and gaining QTS. I have passed all units, placements and QTS skills tests related to the course, and have a certificate from Edge Hill University which proves this. However, because the GTC claim to have no record of my completion of the course (They have me down as having "deferred my course") the local authority are unable to draft me a contract. I would appreciate any advice in how to proceed. Thanks.

3. Perhaps Edge Hill hasn't sent your papers to GTC to recommend you for QTS. The fact you don't have your QTS certificate from GTC (?) probably confirms it.
    I suggest you get in touch with Edge Hill ASAP and ask them to investigate, and send your papers to GTC to facilitate the issue of your QTS certificate.

4. Hi
    This can only now be sorted by Edge Hill. At the end of your course, if you satisfied all the conditions of the course and passed the skills tests then Edge Hill should have recommended you for QTS to the GTCE. You will need to contact the registry and the education department there and provide your details. They should have your course records and if all is in order can write to the GTCE to ask them to award QTS.
    In truth you should have been made aware of this much earlier. As a teacher schools have a legal duty to ensure that you have QTS, even if you come via a supply agencyt the school should ensure that the agency has checked that you have QTS. Legally you were only allowed to work for 16 months on supply (unless you gained an extra 12 months via the LA - who at that point should have asked for QTS verification).
    The certificate you received from Edge Hill is most likely your PGCE and this is different fromk the QTS certificate. The PGCE is an academic award, the QTS is the professional award.
    I'm sure that this is a clerical error and, if so, should be sorted fairly quickly. Once you have your QTS certificate you can begin induction, I suspect that it is unlikely that the GTC will be able to issue your certificate before the start of the term, but the good news is that you can begin induction at any point in the term. Your induction will start on the date of award of QTS.
    James