1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GTC?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by R05H1, Jun 20, 2011.

1. I remember reading on the DfE site that the GTC is being disbanded, and is going to be replaced with the Teaching Agency. Does this mean that those completing their PGCE this year will receive a GTC number or a TA number and how will it affect the transition process of Trainee teacher to NQT?

On the same lines no-one on my course has yet received their certificates for passing the QTS skillstests, does anyone know what's happened to those, if they will ever be formally sent out or not for this year?

2. I remember reading on the DfE site that the GTC is being disbanded, and is going to be replaced with the Teaching Agency. Does this mean that those completing their PGCE this year will receive a GTC number or a TA number and how will it affect the transition process of Trainee teacher to NQT?

On the same lines no-one on my course has yet received their certificates for passing the QTS skillstests, does anyone know what's happened to those, if they will ever be formally sent out or not for this year?

3. Hi
    The DfE is bisdanding the GTC as well as the TDA. Their functions will be taken over by a new organisation called the Teaching Agency. This will be closer to the DfE than the TDA was and under more direct control of the ministers.
    It is unclear if the new teaching agency will charge a fee for the registration of teachers. Your registration number will be transferred to this new agency so there is probably nothiung for you to do. Each time an agency has taken over the list of registered teachers the format of the number has remained the same that is the first two numbers indicate the year in which you were registered for training (e.g. 10/XXXXX)comes a unique number for you on the register.
    James

4. Thanks James,

Was just something that had been worrying me for a while

5. James. Do I need to worry that I don't have the right number?
    My number does not start with the year I began training, it is a 6 digit number and starts 06 - I started to train in Sept 09. Also my number doesn't have the 2-digit number and the forward slash.
    Is anyone else's the same?

6. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

As long as you are registered with the GTCE they can confirm your qualifications and status.Who ever or whatever takes on the registration responsibilities will use this database.The numbers do seem to be random sometimes particularly when they have been allocated to GTP trainees.

7. Hi
    I have a somewhat unusual (sorry tale maybe) GTC related question. I gained QTS in 2008 & I left before finishing my NQT year (having disputed my induction process & been granted an extension by the GTC to my NQT year).
    I'd like to return to teaching - what is my status? - with the GTC gone - do I need to reapply to redo the NQT year? and in the meantime can I supply, or one:2:eek:ne teach?
    T.

8. There are some quirks in the numbering system and as it happens I was at an event with the head of the GTC yesterday, there are still a number of negotiations that need to go on about which functions and how they are transferred. The GTC remains until April next year by which point the new teaching agency will be set up and take over.
    James

9. Hi At present you have been recommended for QTS and so can work as a qualifiued teacher, but you still must complete the induction year so when you obtain a post that lasts at least a term that would be on induction. The former LA and school must provide the relevant paperwork of your previous time on induction. They are legally bound to keep the records for at least six years.
    If you did any daily supply teaching before then you mayhave used up your 16 month allowance 9this is calculated from the first day of work on daily supply) on supply. If you have then you must ask the LA in which you wish to do supply for an extension to the 16 months - they can grant up to a further 12 months. If you have not done any daily supply then you can work on supply now, but on the first day the 16 month clock starts ticking.
    James

10. Hi. I hadn't heard that it was being disbanded but as far as I know, if you want to be teaching (full time, part time or supply) this year between April 2011 and April 2012 you will need to be fully registered with the GTC.
    I qualified in 2010 and was given my GTC number (6 digits) at the beginning of my 4th year of training at uni (Sept 2009). This was to say I was a member of the GTC but I would have to sign up and pay for full membership once I had QTS and wanted to teach.
    As it happens I have only just got my first teaching post so have only just sent of my form for full registration for the GTC.

I never received official certificates for the skills tests (and no one else I know has either). Once you pass them it's just recorded that you have and it ticks off that QTS standard.
    The only official certificate you get related to the skills tests is your official certificate awarding you with QTS once you have successfully completed all of the standards and are recommended for QTS - as you know you have to have passed the skills tests to gain QTS.

Hope this helps.

11. I finished in June also and had to wait for moderation to finish at the beginning of July. I have now received a conformation sheet on passing the course and informed that I should get my QTS certificate in September.

12. Thanks, will just have to wait then!!

13. I finished placement on 24th June, and have recieved my QTS certificate this week. (Even though I'd been told by uni it would be September before I had it!)

14. Got mine today!! [​IMG]