1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

GTC subscription?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by JTL, Mar 3, 2011.

  1. JTL

    JTL Occasional commenter

    Hi all,
    Just a quick question. I have just received a form asking for my annual subscription to the GTC. I thought we no longer had to pay this as it was being abolished?
  2. JTL

    JTL Occasional commenter

    Hi all,
    Just a quick question. I have just received a form asking for my annual subscription to the GTC. I thought we no longer had to pay this as it was being abolished?
  3. nomad

    nomad Star commenter

    The GTCE may be in the process of being scrapped but qualified teachers are still legally required to pay the subscriptions to the GTCE.
  4. magic surf bus

    magic surf bus Star commenter

    I'm a little galled that any of my subscription has been wasted on producing a four page booklet for every member entitled 'The Future of the GTC'.

    I mean how many pages does it take to write NO on?
  5. madenglishgirl

    madenglishgirl New commenter

    I had to pay and I'm not even qualified! Did get it refunded back to me by the school though, which was good [​IMG]
  6. Yes you still have to pay until it is finally abolished, if you teach in a state school.
    You can claim back tax relief and some LAs will refund the amount in your pay packet.
    Us supply teachers have to fork out for it out of our own pocket, along with the cost of CRB checks.
  7. jubilee

    jubilee Star commenter

    Claim tax relief on CRB costs too, if applicable.
    ALL LAs should be paying £33 into your pay if they employ you to do at least one session of qualified teaching for them in a school year. That plus the tax relief you then claim on the £36 GTC fee that you hand over makes membership virtually free.
    Supply teachers who work only for private agency employers fork out £36 and should be claiming back £7-20 tax if they are Basic Rate taxpayers.
    The GTC will only be disbanded after an Act of parliament, so this year's fee, due for the year starting 1st April, is still payable.
    They should really have aligned their subscription year with the academic year in my opinion.
  8. JTL

    JTL Occasional commenter

    Thanks for that.
    As a supply teacher, I was told to hand my form to the school at which I do the most supply which then refunds it with my pay. This has always happened though I do work only for the LA so not sure about agencies. I think, as Jubilee says, it is probably £33. I haven't bothered with the tax relief.
  9. jubilee

    jubilee Star commenter

    Why ever not?
    You can back claim for 5 or 6 tax years, so a tax refund of around £40 is perfectly possible. Add to that 5 or 6 years of tax relief on the allowable portion of Union subs and you could be talking a couple of hundred pounds.
    Ask your Union for a statement of your payments in recent yeras and ask what fraction of the subs is eligible for tax relief. With some it is 100%, so you would get back £20 of every £100 in subs if you are a 20% taxpayer. Witht he NUT, you can claim relief on 2/3rds of the subs paid and with the ATL you claim relief on 9/10ths of the subs paid.
    I once worked out that friends who are both paying 40% tax were missing out on around a thousand pounds by' not having time' to claim tax relief for the previous 6 years. They had also missed out on tax relief since 1977.
  10. Jubilee.....have seen lots about claiming tax relief on union fees etc and have never done this.....what do you actually have to do to get the money back?
  11. jubilee

    jubilee Star commenter

    You write to your tax office or submit a letter to any tax office (they'll forward it to your tax office based on your NI number).
    You state that for the 2010/11 tax year you wish to claim tax relief on the following professional subscriptions: £36 for GTC fees, £ X Union fees (representing the allowable portion of the total subs paid of £Y) and £Z representing CRB fees that you have been required to pay for.
    I'd specify that you want any tax refund paid into my bank account, for which I give the sort code and a/c number.
    You then write another letter for the 2009/10 tax year, and all the tax hyears back to and including 2005/06 (I think). Phone any tax office and ask which is the earliest tax year that you can currently claim for.
    Put all the letters in one envelope and make sure that your NI details are on each.
    You can get your historic union subs from their subscription office or you can look at your bank statements to see what you paid (I save mine for 6 years anyway as I have property income and have to do a tax return every year)
    If you are only claiming for GTC fee becasue you are not in a Union, you can avoid writing a letter completely by going to the GTC website and putting Tax relief form into their Search box. You then print off a form for each tax yea, fill in the amount you paid (currently £36 but it has been £33 and £30 in the last 6 years) ,fill in your details, sign and post to your tax office, NOT back to the GTC as some people do!
  12. Only £33 ? What value for money. I keep all the glossy magazines in a special folder and often look at them when I am at all concerned about how I should execute my job as a teacher.
    So sad that they are being disbanded. I shall miss them so. How will I be able to carry on teaching ?

  13. JTL

    JTL Occasional commenter

    Thanks jubilee! I certainly will claim the tax relief on my previous years' GTC subscriptions and also my union fees now that you have pointed out how to do it. I'm getting quite excited at the prospect of an unexpected bonus. Really grateful!
  14. jubilee

    jubilee Star commenter

    When you know the tax deductible amounts for the 2011/12 tax year, you can let the tax office know and they will increase your tax code, thus reducing the tax that you pay for every remaining month of the tax year.
  15. jubilee

    jubilee Star commenter

    GTC fee is £36-50 (this April and Last April) not £36 as I quoted earlier.
    If that is all you are claiming, the tax people will round it up to £37 and give you back 20% (or 40% for higher rate taxpayers).
    If you are claiming for other professional fees, they add everything together and then round up the answer before calculating the tax relief.

Share This Page