1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GTC So glad to see you go. Doea anyone agree?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by ninasimone, Jan 27, 2012.

1. GTC - Great Terrible Cost....to teachers, the professionan and kids.
    ....what a waste they are and will be when they are finally burned
    ....not paid my subs and dont intend to......and quite honestly dont give a monkey's left testicle what they think
    ....useless, unprofessional, pointless, unrewarding, full of *** who dont know what they are talking about.....apart from that the GTC was a roaring success

2. and have the regulatory functions taken over by Mr Gove. That will be better.

3. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

So what is the "terrible cost" to you?
    Whilst not paying a professional registration fee is the height of professionalism.

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Indeed. He's really objective, isn't he?
    I continue to be amazed at the number of teachers who think that the abolition of the GTCE means that nothing at all will take its place.

5. Goodbye and good riddance to another bunch of freeloaders and chancers.
    But seriously - how can we get solid professional representation of teachers and teaching standards...and I'm sure I'm not the only person thinking such a body is needed? Doctors have the BMA - other professionals have similar.....teachers need their own big dog-pack up there barking back at government, and keeping the pups in order.
    Which revives the Great Teaching Unions Debate, I suppose.
    And the What Are We Teaching And Why Debate.
    Which reminds me - why the the NCSL avoid revision / downsizing / abolition?

6. Crowbob

7. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

It is relative to be fair; I imagine most doctors are on a slightly higher salary than teachers.
    I know the NMC aren't very fair at all; a friend from school had an awful time with them when she was falsely accused of stealing £16 from a patient's purse.
    I don't understand what driving for prostitute means?

8. Crowbob

To be fair, it isn't. Teachers currently "pay" £35ish. Even though most get the money back they complain. Even if you scale it, is the average doctor on more than x10 the wage of the average teacher? I think not.
    In your experience, even if you make it proportional, do you think that most teachers would pay the necessary fee (which would need to be at least 2 or 3 times the current rate) to have an effective regulator and representative body?

9. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

I don't understand the gripe with paying a professional registration fee.... I claim tax relief on the fee and so basically it costs me less to register for my profession than i threw in a charity pot this morning....

10. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

For me the cost was not particularly irksome (particularly as the Government paid us most of it anyway). What grated was the lack of anything in return. This year I didn't even get a receipt for the money, let alone the green and grey magazine that proclaimed wonderful opportunities for teachers in different roles elsewhere in the country.
    The GTC never really had the opportunity to become a regulatory body run by teachers. neither Labour nor the Tories were ever keen on that. It sorted a few disciplinary affairs. Registration can surely be done by a small admin team with a good database (as it must have been before the GTC)
    P.

11. but why did I need to register for my profession in the first place? The GTC gave me nothing. I had registered for my profession by completing the study and pracitce requirements and the the proabationary year. At that point I entered a professional community and forged ahead, linking, studying further, developing myself, aware of and increasingly reflective upon the roles and responsibilities. The GTC added nothing to that. It invented itself almost as a parady of any real motive and purpose in the classroom. It invented courses that were already being provided at a local level and charged a lot more for attending their own - all to perpetuate its own cycle of existence as it had no indpendent economic base.
    It did nothing for teachig standards- as if teachers were not aware of their own professional standards and we needed a big broher organisation to come along and define them for us, then print them on glossy paper and send them out to us in large envelopes. It damaged local initiatives and was nothing more that a government poodle. I would even go as far as to say that attemtpting to define teaching it missed the essence of it so was constantly chasing the ghost -except that it didn't seem aware that there was ghost to chase.
    It was the same as when allownaces were introduced, we were supposed to nbeed an incentive to do the work that we were doing already, and if we didn't get the incentive, or it was taken away in a two year cycle of spreading the riches, they woyuld we no longer do the johb as we understood it? Yes of course we would - so unecessary contortions. That was the GTC another unecessary distortion, rather than simple vision, standards, accountability, paper and committees coming out of you ears.. So goodbye with a glad heart. You stayed too long it wast time to go

12. blazer

blazer Star commenter

It's what you get for your money! Yes the GTC is cheap and yes we get most of the money piad back but they cost 16 Million quid per year and all they do is persecute teachers. They do not represent us, they do not protect us, they do not argue our case. They just follow Government diktats and force compliance upon us. Well Gove can do exactly the same and it won't cost £16,000,000.

What happened to the 'Bonfire of the Quangoes' that we were promised anyway?

13. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

All these comments are outrageous.
    When the GTC was introduced it was to be independent of the government of the day and it was to speak with one voice for the teaching profession. My own HT told us on a Baker day that there had never been a more exciting time to be a teacher and that as a result of the GTC the teaching profession would really be recognised at last as a genuine profession.
    I believe that without the GTC our professional standing would not exist and that the public would see us as a bunch of layabouts.
    I believe that all children are born with equal ability and that is the quality of our teaching and nothing else that makes the difference.
    I believe that every management team and every governing body do a splendid job in supporting but challenging us - as critical friends - to ensure that we deliver only the best for the lovable young rascals we meet every day.
    I also believe in the fairies at the bottom of my garden.

14. bigfatgit

bigfatgit New commenter

Wasn't the "driving for a prostitute" something to do (allegedly) with him taking time off work "sick" and spending the time driving his girlfriend to various "appointments"?
    I seem to remember that the suggestion was that he was also acting as her minder when he should have been at at work
    Might be wrong

15. Gardening Leaves

Gardening Leaves New commenter

The problem with the GTC is that no-one knew what it was actually supposed to be - including itself.
    It was supposedly set up to fulfil the role of independent regulator but its integrity (assuming that any was ever envisaged) is that it spread its net too widely and tried to be all things to all people. Just one example (there are many) is that it set out to offer professional development, accredited only by its own internal award system that was not recognised by any external awarding body. Why on earth would anyone wish to work towards GTC professional development credits, recognised and valued by no-one, when they could have school-based research and development accredited by a university at M-level?
    It was nominated to be a prefessional regulator, in the mode of the BMA and other independent regulators. Trouble was, unlike - say - the Financial Services Authority, it was neither independent nor transparent. The whole point of an independent regulator is that those facing allegations of misconduct or incapability should have their case investigated by an independent, objective professioanl body. It should be able to ensure the standardisation of judgments (the fair application of regulations and guidance) and ensure that individuals could have objective investigation into allegations against them, to moderate the unreasosnable behaviour of rogue Heads. The law clearly understood that this was the role of the GTC: the Supreme Court recently ruled that a teacher could not usually take a lawyer into an internal disciplinary hearing, to protect their career, because they had recourse to case review by an independent regulator.
    Teachers should also have been able to feel confident that, as an independent regulator, a complaint of misconduct against a bullying Head would be fully and fairly investigated, without bias or prejudice. Unfortunately, this was not the case. From first hand experience, I know that it was possible for an employer to put pressure on the GTC to drop complaints of misconduct generated by individual teachers and which the employer wished to 'bury'. I know that the GTC was prepared to ignore its own investigation protocols to do this.
    The role of the new Teaching Agency is far clearer: it is to act as an independent regulator, to review the most serious of cases against teachers, in which removal from the register was likely. In many ways it is good that a level of bureaucracy is removed. GTC referrals were backed-up for two years and, in the majority of cases, no case was found to answer. It was cruel to have a GTC referral hanging over the head of a teacher for so long, leaving them in limbo, unable to carry on with their work or life until they had an answer. On the other hand, the victims of rogue Headteachers, such as mine, could at least be confident that their case would be investigated by an independent investigative committee. Where Heads and employers were in cahoots, it was the first time they could be sure to have a fair hearing. The new role of the Teaching Agency means that this former role of the GTC is removed and bullied teachers have no recourse to an independent review, unless they choose to go to an employment tribunal.
    Michael Gove has, however, undertaken to ensure that the Teaching Agency cannot be influenced by employers, as the GTC was, and will fairly, independently and thoroughly investigate complaints of misconduct made directly to it. This is not at odds with its role to investigate only the most serious of misconduct cases, liable to result in removal from the register: the deliberate bullying of employees does fit the criteria. In the very imperfect world of education, this has to be a step forward, even if only a small one.

16. chriszwinter1

Its independence was never anything but a sham.

17. Gardening Leaves

Gardening Leaves New commenter

I agree with you (though I notice my fingers did not make that at all clear in the typing!) [​IMG]

18. chriszwinter1

I agree with every sentiment in your post.
    As for the independence, our wonderful prime minister said that that would be the case but that it had to strike off as many teachers as possible to show it had teeth - so much for its independence. I used to knock out certificates using powerpoint for kids at key stage 3, just as my head issued his own "leading from the middle modules" awards, which were as valid as the GTC stuff you refer to.
    When Putnam left, he said he'd failed to win the hearts and minds of teachers. Now there's something I thought I'd waved goodbye to 20 years ago - honesty in education. Given what he'd been lumbered with, he never had a chance.
    As for what replaces it, it is just what was there before it came into being: the secretary of state.

19. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

It could onlly ever be described as a sack of sh*t its purpose was to be yet another stick with which to beat teachers.It was to lurk as an ever present threat.
    I know a case where a teacher was referred to the GTC over an issue that should never have passed further than a line manger to be discussed, let alone acted on. A situation seized by a head to use a cost cutting device to get rid of a soon to be superfluous to requirements member of staff in a school amalgamation situation. Even though the farce of a hearing accepted that the teacher had done nothing wrong on a personal level, but because of sheer lack of help from a Union and the inability of that teacher to face or attend the GTC "hearing" process a disciplinary result was the outcome. That excellent teacher has no inclination to teach or to be in education again.
    I consider it to be a complete waste of space, completely uneccessary; the teachers having anything to do with it only there to escape the real world of teaching - as in no real teacher would wish to sit in on such a process.
    As regards "protecting" professionalism or whatever, that holds no water whatsoever. We have to have CRB checks, we are in possession of correct professional qualifications, We have to be observed by all strata of anyone having anything to do with education. Let's face it....everybody has been in a school or has been taught and as we all know that makes Uncle Tom Cobbley and all ...experts to stand there and criticise and then for good measure we get smacked with this GTC. I tried hard really hard to avoid paying in this last year but being held still by the short and curlies I eventually paid. Have I received a card from them? No? Did they cash my cheque ? Yes. As a teacher no longer employed by a local authority or school do I get part of that fee reimbursed? No. So I pay the whole whack only to have the "advantage" of being able to clain it against any income tax due. Well wowsie for that.
    I cannot wait for it to go.If we get another punitive measure in place from the Gove...well at least that cannot masquerade in any way, shape or form to be of "benefit" for teachers.

20. chriszwinter1

Brilliantly put. I can think of a case where a head, who'd obviously failed his exams to become a traffic warden, couldn't wait to refer one of his teachers to this shower. He was the sort of servile little toerag that dictatorships depend on for their very survival.