1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GTC renewal...should I?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by cityfree, Mar 31, 2011.

1. cityfree

cityfree New commenter

Last year I didn't renew because the news had come they were to be scrapped. They eventually took my fee out of my salary in October. I might do the same. They will have a tough job taking it if I am in China! [​IMG]
    I shall dig out my letter and see when it runs out.
    Cheers me dears.
    x

2. cityfree

cityfree New commenter

Not all of them are. But let's face it, a there are some. I for one know this after having started my career in one. I'm looking forward to working with children who don't think the way to solve a problem is to throw a chair at your teacher.
    Mind you, from looking at the forum there are many hell-hole international schools.

3. Syria1

Syria1 New commenter

Thanks for that correction. I'd just delay paying them - by the time you return from the paradise of a broad the GTC will no longer be.

4. mrswallow

mrswallow New commenter

I currently owe the GTC some money. They sent me a letter threatening to de-register me unless I paid up. I rang them and said that I intended to stay in NZ, do I still need to be registered? Apparently not. I asked if they were going to send around the bailiffs if I didn't pay. Bloke I spoke to reckoned not. I asked for clarification on this; would the GTC chase the debt if I didn't pay it? I was told no, but if I ever wanted to teach in England or Wales again I would have to pay it and re-register.
    So, as far as I'm concerned, you only need to pay the GTC is you want to, are intending to or are about to teach in England and Wales. If you owe them money, then you will have to pay them if you want to etc and they are still going when you go back..
    As for hell-holes, well yes, there are some. There may well be comfy chairs in hell, but chances are you will get stuck between the Eternally Gloomy Geography Teacher and the Forever Chirpy NQT. Which would be hell...

5. cityfree

cityfree New commenter

Thanks for all your notes peeps. I think I shall just ignore the GTC. They won't exist by the time I get back (if I come back), I have to say, I'm not too sure what I pay them £36 a year for anyway. Putting my name on a database once can't cost that much.

6. Nezelette

Nezelette New commenter

I haven't paid for years and neither have many of my colleagues. OK, we all work in independent schools, but still in the UK. The GTC got quite threatening a few years ago and then just gave up. Nothing drastic happened. I was worried I might need to be registered in order to get my visa (for upcoming start of overseas contract) but it doesn't seem to be the case (yet I'm heading for a coubtry with a very paperwork-heavy culture). They're much more bothered about CRB, diplomas and letters of recommendation.

As for hell-hole state schools, that's a sweeping generalisation to say the least. I worked at a fantastic Grammar a few years ago, and that still counts as a state school...