1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GTC registered?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by perky_panda, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Probably going to sound really dumb but am I registered? I have my Dfes/GTC number but I haven't filled in any additional forms or paid any money to register?

Its just I am filling in application forms and have been leaving it blank but now unsure as I have finished the course.

If I am not registered - when do you register? is it when you get a job?

Thanks alot

2. Probably going to sound really dumb but am I registered? I have my Dfes/GTC number but I haven't filled in any additional forms or paid any money to register?

Its just I am filling in application forms and have been leaving it blank but now unsure as I have finished the course.

If I am not registered - when do you register? is it when you get a job?

Thanks alot

3. I have a similar question!

I've finished my PGCE course and have a job lined up for September. My uni have given me my 'teacher reference number' to use when registering with the GTC.

However, as I have not yet had confirmation of passing the course and being awarded QTS I am unsure whether I can complete the GTC registration form?

Do I have to wait until my PGCE Certificate is sent to me (as my uni says 'sometime after 31 August')?

Hope someone can help both of us!

Thanks!

4. You can't register until your uni's academic committee officially awards PGCE etc and sends a recommendation to GTC about the award of QTS. Then you get a letter from GTC inviting you to register provisionally and pay your fee. They write back to confirm, and only then will you be properly registered. Your povisional registration won't become full registration until you pass your induction. Your QTS certificate will follow later, in late August or September, but will be backdated to August.
    On your application, say No to registration, but your context will make it clear you are awaiting official cnfirmation of result.

5. Thanks Alec!

I guess I'll just wait for the GTC to contact me following the uni's decision regarding the award of QTS.

Ta!

6. Thanks alot - that clears it up

7. Well, I'm really confused. I remember paying £30.00 ages ago (at the beginning of the course?) for something and I have a card from the GTC with my teacher reference number on it which arrived in about March/April. I assumed this was my number for the GTC - I have emailed them to ask if I am registered, but have so far only got an automated response. I also used this card when registering with a supply agency, and the man didn't say it wasn't.

Cx

8. Having a teacher reference number is no proof that you are registered with GTC. A lot of pople have TRN without being registered, such as those who failed to complete their course or for whatever reason haven't bothered to register with GTC after getting QTS - those who aren't teaching in state schools don't have to register and pay a fee of £33 a year. Those who work in state schools should get their pay uprated to include this fee.
    You still have to follow procedure I've outlined above - wait for a letter from GTC and then send back your application form with your direct debit mandate - you can't register online as they need your original signatures on the form. They will then send you a confirmation letter and your GTC registration card.
    From Sept 2008, those starting their ITT will have to provisionally register with GTC before beginning their course.

9. Hi
    Could you advise me also please. I have been teaching for three years at a 6th form college I qualified last year complteing my DTTLS 2 year course. I have been going through my NQT year this year I am presuming this as I have been observed every term and have been having reports done on me each term. What exactly do I have to do about registering with GTC i am currently applying for other jobs and opn the application forms are being asked for the number.
    No one has mentioned this to me, could you advise please.

10. Notwithstanding

Notwithstanding New commenter

The GTC no longer exists as of 8 days ago, I would imagine the new 'Teaching Agency' will be fulfilling a similar role, albeit giving teachers in England absolutely no PROFESSIONAL body.

11. I have recently been successful in getting a job. I am an NQT and have been asked to register with the GTC. I am aware that there is no longer a GTC and it has been replaced by the Teaching Agency. I have come across a website: www.rec.uk.com/.../2072 which states that there is no requirement for teachers to register with the Teaching Agency. Is this correct?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks

12. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

The DFE through the National College of Teaching & Leadership run the registration process for teachers this includes all new teachers with QTS who are automatically enrlled-check your status on the DfE website education.gov

13. Thank you :)