1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GTC Continue to collect funds for a Scrapped Department

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by broberg, Jul 8, 2010.

1. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

It isn't scrapped yet.
    It will run until at least April as Primary legislation is needed to scrap it.

2. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

No doubt it will continue just long enough that subscriptions are due for the year 2011-12, because of course the subscription year is April-March, being the best way of getting more money out of those entering/leaving the profession.

3. Any legislation to scrap GTCE will not go before parliament until sometime next year, so expect to pay next years subs!
    It will go down fighting, I think.

4. Lets hope that not too many teachers make the mistake of cancelling their direct debits early as this would cause chaos if the GTC tried to collect more money.

5. Personally I won't be paying!
    I was really angry when I got the letter through and proceeded to phone them up and explain my feelings about the GTC to the poor person on the end of the phone.
    At the end of the day, what can they do if we refuse to pay? It's not like they are actually providing me with any service. I'm not costing them anything so why should I pay them to do nothing?
    I refuse to pay for something that is being scrapped!
    Grr, sorry for the rant but it makes me so angry that they are trying to squeeze as much money out of us as possible being they go under. No matter how hard they try, their ship is going under. Teachers need every penny at the moment!

6. ianj6

ianj6 New commenter

There's another thread (I think on Head teachers) where apparently a new body is starting to do the regulatory role where we have to make a one off payment of £64, (this includes a CRB check). We are meant to register with this body between July and November this year.
    So are we going to have to pay one payment to one bunch of bandits, then another to this new body? Be nice if a "body who represented real classroom teachers" gave us some information instead of sending out toilet paper magazines, sitting drinking Lattes and having lunch, then demanding fees for de registering teachers for no reason, and adding more beaurocracy and confusion to the job!

(I don't think the GTC are much use if you haven't guessed, and their magazine is just a bit too shiny to have the absorbancy necessary to make it useful in any practical setting!)

Ian

7. I think you are referring to the ISA.
    This scheme has been "put on hold" by govt with a view to it being reviewed and a more sensible version being introduced.

8. jubilee

jubilee Lead commenter

If you are in a contracted teaching job or are doing supply via an LA (even just one day per school year), the LA add £33 to your pay, courtesy of the Government.
    This payment is taxed and has NI taken off, I think, leaving about £24 extra in take-home pay for a 20% tax payer.
    You then claimtax relief on the payment of (£36 now?) made to the GTC and the end result is a virtually free membership.
    It's only exclusively agency employed teachers who have any reasonable cause to moan about paying for GTC membership at present.

9. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

Why do all this work for an unwanted, **** organisation about to be closed? Much better cancel any direct debit; bin any begging letters from them and - if the government does pay £33 this year (and that's a big 'if' in current circumstances) you'll be £33 better off...More likely than not the government won't pay this year, and any mistaken teacher who does will be £36 worse off...
    Oh, and by the way, not all tax offices are keen to allow tax relief on this, and you may spend a lot of time arguing for it...Nope, the 'circular filing cabinet' on the floor is the way to go!

10. jubilee

jubilee Lead commenter

Not so! The GTC website even provides the tax relief form that you can download, fill in and send to your tax office (print off one for each tax year that you may have omitted to claim in the past).
    If you are in a contracted job in September, the 333 will be in September's or October's pay, well in advance of paying the next GTC fee for probably the last time in March/April 2011.

11. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

The other people who lose out are those who are not in teaching continuously. In one two year period, the only state sector teaching I did was a Jan-Aug contract. That single post required two years' membership of the GTC, and I'm not sure I got the 33 quid extra in my pay either. It was only a 0.28 contract, too, but the GTC don't do reductions for part-timers (it's too costly to administer, apparently, despite all the unions managing it).

12. Morninglover

We'll see - my guess is that Gove won't pay it to save money...

13. ianj6

ianj6 New commenter

Folkfan,
    It's a useless, unwanted organisation and you appear to be the only person who has any time for it. I actually pay my membership, but I won't give them my bank details as I have ABSOLUTELY no confidence in their abilities to organise a brew in a teapot never mind trusting them with personnal information.
    It appears obvious that a lot of teachers are voting with their cheque books as they appear to have severe financial problems, evidenced by the fact that it is too expensive to collect the money from our pay, and too expensive to administer a reduction for part time teachers.
    I also question the morality and even the legality (at a European Court level) of charging someone to have a job. If it was say a sports club and the factory owner said "You can only work here if you are a member of this rugby club" then surley that would be illegal. I can't see much of a difference, (except I'd find the rugby club membership far more useful!)
    The best thing the Tories have done, is to abolish the body, and be quicker about it. (The second best thing they've done is to get a leader who looks like he showers occasionally!)

Cheers
    Ian

14. jubilee

jubilee Lead commenter

It's not illegal and not at all unusual.
    Solicitors have to pay an annual fee (much higher then the GTC fee) to the Law Society, which regulates their profession.
    Doctors have to pay a huge fee to the General Medical Council that regulates their profession.

15. Morninglover

I think you need to reread my comments on the GTCE....As they say, 'if you believe this (that I support the GTCE) you'll believe anything...'

16. ianj6

ianj6 New commenter

My deepest apologies Folk Fan, the support the GTCE bit was aimed at Jubilee!

That said, we are in a different position to lawyers in that they can set up independant companies that would be unanswerable if it were not for the law society.

I am answerable to my Head Teacher who can sack me if I don't perform, my LEA if I behave unprofessionally and they can stop me from teaching anywhere in the LEA, also the DFES if I behave in a way that places children at risk, including in my private life, as well as the CRB and the police if I break the law. My union represents my views and Ofsted measures my standards, .......can't see where the GTCE fits in here!

They don't have a role

17. jubilee

jubilee Lead commenter

The idea of a Teaching Council was actually welcomed in the initial planning, especially by those who felt that to be taken seriously as a profession we should have a regulating organisation like the other, perhaps more respected, professions.
    Teachers were then up in arms when a fee was introduced and the outcry led to the government bring in the extra funding for LA employed teachers (not guaranteed to last, I grant you). That, in my opinion, should have ended to hostility of any teacher who did at least one LA paid day of teaching per year. Only agency paid teachers have any cause for complaint as they are underpaid already and then have to fund all but the tax relief element of the GTC fee.
    The role of the GTC was indeed covered by the DfES in the past. It's simply been an outsourced role to a separate organisation for the past 8 years. the Dept for Ed & Schools bring in the legislation and the GTC implements it.
    I don't espouse the GTC, not will I mind when it disappears and the role reverts to the D fES. What I do object to is so many teachers complaining about paying the fee or NOT paying it at all and still pocketing the £33 extra in their pay. That's taking taxpayers' money for no good reason. The principled thing to do if someone is determined not to pay the fee is to repay the £33 (or the element left after payro;; deductions) or tell the LA not to pay the money in the first place.

18. Morninglover

The work ( I use the term very loosely) that the GTCE has done since then has made it anathema to me (& many other colleagues) - for example their relentless pursuit of teachers who have got into trouble inside, or even outside, school, and their desire to impose 'standards' on teachers' private lives as well - this is what makes me celebrate the demise of the GTCE...
    If any teachers have done this (and I've never heard of any doing so) - then it is the fault of the Govt for setting up such a complex (but flawed) system. Direct payment to the GTCE would've been better...

19. ianj6

ianj6 New commenter

Jubilee,
    Folkfan does talk sense here about direct payment to the GTCE.

Also the idea that the GTCE should be hounding Teachers who are already having a miserable time in their private lives is daft. If we get a criminal record the consequences for us are already far more serios than in other jobs as it will show up forever on our CRBs making getting another job far more difficult and promotion approaching impossible. For us a stupid act one drunken night can end our career.

We don't need the jumped up ponces at the GTCE imposing "standards" on us as well, we already know we're in the poo. The organisation has no role.

Ian